Nitrate removal in sumps

Matty

Ninja' date=' be great if you could test them on your prized shrimps, and report your findings on the forum.....take one for the team ? :encouragement:[/quote']

Ahhhh, but you have PRL and they are the touchiest of all. I don't, so you should do it mate???????

Do you think they'd miss one or two from this? Lol

C8C71993-9039-4CEA-B042-3616E7E3C60A-8384-0000090249E856E9_zpsdb8f7fc0.jpg

There are two of these "walls" in my work building:

3B61F344-D337-4ED0-92F1-EFC1A29AEFC5-8384-00000908E30F705F_zps74d3b978.jpg

where do you work lol

In an office building in the CBD where the owners thought it was more important to spend big dollars on stuff like this and making the building look "pretty" instead of fixing lifts and heaters and air conditioners that constantly break!

Idiots! Lol

i dont even think what they did with the plants look nice lol so fail on all accounts :)

i dont even think what they did with the plants look nice lol so fail on all accounts :)

Agreed.

They have at least built a new BBQ undercover lounge area on the roof so not a complete waste.

As for the plants, I was expecting them to die from lack of sunlight but it all makes sense after reading this post. I knew I had seen them before somewhere.

So I guess I'm covered if I ever have a large sump in need of nitrate removal. Lol.

Anybody want a cutting?

Hi Aquathumb' date=' have you used it in high quality shrimp tanks, like TB's or PRL or just cherries. I have used it before on fish only tanks without problems.[/quote']

Nope I only own cherry's far :(

I would happily test them out if someone wants to donate some :victorious:

• 2 months later...

So i'm trialling this....

They didn't have the "Pothos Golden Ivy" in my Bunnings, so I got "Pothos Goldilocks" ... hopefully it'll do the same job. It looks the same except the leaves are yellowy green.

So far, I have not noticed a difference in nitrates, it hasn't been in there too long though. Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb about how many Pothos treat a certain amount of water? How long does it usually take to make a difference?

I've had a couple of deaths (1x yellow cherry and 1x DRNS), but i'm fairly confident that they are unrelated though. I also have CBS, blue velvets, choc cherries and mischlings in the rack and all are unaffected.

• 4 months later...

Just letting you all know that I've had the pothos in a sump without any ill affects, and also with exposed roots in a tank with yellow cherry's in it. So far no deaths have really happened that I have noticed, I think it seems to be ok with the yellows, although I would prefer it in a HOB for peace of mind.

Cheers

Matty

I have had some golden pothos in my tank since july didnt notice any ill affects.

It grows quite happily from cuttings.

One of my local, the best, aquariums uses these and has them mounted and floating in sumps on styrofoam with a hole for the roots to grow through.

He has no issues with them on the fish tanks.

Wouldn't a peace Lilly do the same job, in the past I have planted them submersed for lack of available plants. They don't live forever underwater bit last a fair while?

Give the plants a chance Oz, looks early days for them, green walls have been the thing for a while now. I wonder how those were watered? Couldn't work it out from pics?

in the olden days we used to grow sweet potatoes in water, for decoration.

in the olden days we used to grow sweet potatoes in water' date=' for decoration.[/quote']

Wow...did they have electricity back then ... ooooo.... don't need to say anything ninja, I'll just walk myself to the naughty corner.....it's HOT n perth, and it brings out the nasty in me ! LOL

Actually back them days there was no power in Cervantes' date=' so there. Put a pipe in it![/quote']That's exactly what I meant ... Squiggs ?..Yeah, I know....:o

Hahaha, don't pull me into this one dude, I'm already in enough trouble with ninja & Ineke for repetitively hijacking the X-Factor/Cake thread, lol. I'm already in the naughty corner with you. :encouragement:

Pretty funny though dude, ballsy but funny! Hahaha :congratulatory: