Shrimp gone crazy

brenkirk

Hi,

I'am worried about my CRS. I just found a dead shrimp in the tank and after I took it out, all the shrimp in the tank started to go crazy, swimming round the tank and have lost a lot of their colour. Before I took the dead shrimp out all seemed ok. Could it be caused by some of the 'juice' from the dead shrimp going into the water and scaring them when I took it out with the tweezers?

Bren

Hi Bren,

A fresh moult from a female can cause the shrimps to go crazy...but there maybe other unrelated issues if they're loosing colour...etc Did the dead shrimp have a soft/fleshy body (i.e. recently moulted) ? If you're concern, do a 20% waterchange, ensuring that the TDS, and water temperature is close to the tank parameters etc...and monitor the situation.

Good luck.....

my first thought was breeding behavior also but the dead shrimp doesn't fill me with confidence, tell us more about the dead shrimp as BB asked .

The dead shrimp was one the other older shrimp I had. The body felt firm still. I thought it has just met the end of its life. They seem to be settling down now and the colours are starting to come back.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye on them and might do a water change just to be safe.

All my shrimp seem to have settled right down and are now acting normal with normal colour. No more deaths so far. Thanks for everyone's help

sounds like it was just mating behavior, the death could have just been a weird coincidence?

glade they are all good though :)