Hi all, from little ol' Adelaide.

Cookster

Hi one and all,

Ian's my name. I am fairly new to shrimp, only had a tank of them for just over a week.

Looking forward to meeting and greeting as time passes, and drawing on your knowledge as required.

Tank setup is as such:

Homemade 575mm x 575mm x 360mm high Tank. 120 ltr

Planted scape running 800 lt/hr external filter with shrimp guard fitted.

Tank maintained at 25 C with heater.

Current Livestock:

Red Cherry about 40 purchased a week ago... (have seen 5 or 6 berried females already)

2 x CRS A grade

2 x CBS A and B grade

Paratya australensis (Glass Shrimp) about 40 of these also.

The tank:

post-2255-139909850546_thumb.jpg

Some of the inhabitants:

post-2255-139909850551_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909850556_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909850561_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909859825_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909859829_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909859834_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909859838_thumb.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cookster

• ineke

• Squiggle

• BlueBolts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• HOF Member

Hi Cookster welcome to SKF so glad to see another South Australian. Tank looks very nice and the shrimp look good too. You have started with a good number and berried girls already well done. The forum will open up to you as you post more with lots of good information available. Plenty of like minded people willing to share information with a bit of fun along the way. If you want to access the full forum straight away the premium membership of $12.50 is well worth paying. We love pictures of tanks and shrimp.

Welcome to the forum Ian, very cool setup dude, tank looks amazing. This is definitely the shrimp place to be, hope you enjoy it as much as we do, oh & by the way, you do realise that you're now hooked on shrimp & one tank is never enough, hahaha :encouragement:

image-74_zps0d4dc0c7.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome fellow shrimpers, I appreciate the positive comments on the tank. It's actually my first attempt at a planted scape, set up with the purpose

of keeping our little shrimpy friends.

... and @ Squiggle... lol .. I am well aware of Multiple Tank Syndrome and no doubt will have a few more before too long hahaha.

Wow, that's really your first go at it? Very well done dude, very impressive :encouragement:

Thanks again Squiggle, I started researching planted setups back in Dec last year after stumbling across the AGA Competition Website... from that moment on I

had to give it a go... unfortunately, here in SA there isn't much available in the way of "planted tank supplies" . But with the help of Mr. Google and some very helpful people

on a few fish and shrimp related FaceBook pages I was able to scrape up enough of the right stuff to get it going. lol

Shrimp was always on my mind for this project, and the build has been based around keeping them once the plants had established and I could make the water parameters shrimp friendly.

Well you're in the right place now, lots of people on here have lots of very cool plants & lots of great info to help with any questions you have & remember, no questions are stupid questions :encouragement:

Thanks Loach... happy to be here. Such a great hobby and hopefully now I will get to meet a few like minded people,

especially the South Aussies :encouragement:

Thats and awesome looking tank....1st go ! Wow...no doubt some hidden talents there ! What's your debt regime, and do you know what TDS you have in your tanks ?

Thats and awesome looking tank....1st go ! Wow...no doubt some hidden talents there ! What's your debt regime' date=' and do you know what TDS you have in your tanks ?[/quote']

Thanks very much, Not sure what you mean by 'debt' regime... Fert regime maybe ... if so I use a half dose of Liquid carbon once per week at water change and am due to start another DIY CO2

and I have no idea of my TDS.... Ph is 6ish and my Kh is 2. As for hidden talents, the only thing I can relate to that compliment is an artistic ability.

To everyone else that gave me such a warm welcome.. I thank you..

Welcome aboard Ian, good to see you made it through :-)

Hi Ian, your setup looks great... the pressure is on for me if that's your first tank :) I'm still in the process of acquiring all the bits n pieces

hello Ian, a warm welcome to SKF ENJOY!

Welcome aboard Ian' date=' good to see you made it through :-)[/quote']

Thanks Davin.... It's certainly great to be here and to be a part of all the shrimp action:triumphant:

I am sure this new addiction will lead to an obsession quick smart .. haha

Hi Ian' date=' your setup looks great... the pressure is on for me if that's your first tank :) I'm still in the process of acquiring all the bits n pieces[/quote']

Thanks for the compliment Kaya ... Good luck with your new endeavour, love to see some pics of the set-up when you get there.

hello Ian' date=' a warm welcome to SKF ENJOY![/quote']

Thanks Mate ... enjoyment will be had ;) ... Cheers

Update pics

Thought since I have done a trim of some of the plants I should put up a few update shots.

I trimmed the HM into a neat bush style.... it grows incredibly fast, and will be a regular chore I think :)

I also trimmed the hair grass, man is that one messy plant to clean up after a trim, netting the trimmings was pretty much useless as the strands go straight through the net .. haha

Next victim was the Limnophila aromatica, took some nice healthy tops off and took them straight into my 3ft planted community tank. Being purply red, they make a nice contrast to the

swords and Anubias.

Full Front shot

post-23-139909850716_thumb.jpg

Side View

[ATTACH]2947[/ATTACH]

post-2255-139909849663_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849666_thumb.jpg