CO2 diffuser not working?

torface

I have a Fluval 88g CO2 kit (this one: http://thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2136) and I just noticed that CO2 is no longer coming out of the diffuser. The bubbles go through the bubble counter but nothing is coming out. I took the tube off and there seemed to be built up pressure in it... so it must be the diffuser.

Does anyone know how i can fix this??

When you say 'No longer' i assume it was working at one stage. Its a pressure problem. Most likely youve run out or too low on co2 to force the co2 through the diffuser.

Squiggles i dont think your ment to be able to blow through a diffuser?

Nope, can't blow through it... I tried that!

And i'm definately not low on CO2 cos the reg says the bottle is still 2/3 full... plus the bubbles are coming through the bubble counter, there is just no bubbles going into the tank.

Lol, I do realise that Robert :stupid: but that would be a cheap Co2 system blowing into the tank, I meant just to test if its blocked & stops the flow of Co2. I don't think there is any way to clean the diffuser safely, anyone? :encouragement:

Take the ceramic disc out or put the whole diffuser in bleach to clean it. then rinse it well and try again.

According to this video:

People are waiting 6hrs for the pressure to break through the ceramic.

That's an awesome idea Robert, can I suggest after cleaning with bleach to soak in a solution of 5 x dose of Prime or another good dechlorinator for a few hours :encouragement:

• 3 weeks later...

yeah i had the same problem with an atomizer i was using. the bubbles counter and gauge showed pressure and bubbles but it wasnt coming out and the pressure would slowly decrease as the day wore on. i disconnected it to find the bottle was fine when it wasnt connected to the atomizer. i switched for a sera reactor and havnt looked back since. the great thing is with the reactor there is no 'diffusor' for the co2 to go through so when u set ur bubble counter u know that thats whats going straight into ur tank.. just delayed a couple seconds.

after alot of thinkin when i was havin my problem i figured the diffusers are not that accurate. after u see it goes through the bubble counter so u think u know how much is going into the tank... the thing is tho that by the time it makes it way through the diffusor/atomizer stone there is no way to calculate exactly how much is being pumped into the tank after it has been sitting on the stone for who knows how long. just my thoughts anyway. atomizer/diffuser 0.. reactor 1. :p

good luck, i know how frustrating some of these products are!!

p.s i noticed more pH swing when using the atomizer too as the whole tank would go misty at only 1 bub every 3/5 seconds (yes i was only using light co2 back then) now 1bps with the rector.