Share your community tank selective breeding ideas.

OzShrimp

Just thought i would create a thread for those to share their ideas in relation to selectively breeding within a single tank.

I have a 4ftr which i am currently trying to adapt with breeder boxes to allow me to selectively breed the different shrimp i have.

At the moment i have a sudo breeder box with aqua soil, bamboo caves moss & nl java fern (help with nitrate absorbtion etc) containing 1 male CBS and 1 female CBS, 2 female red rili with blue genes, 1 male red rili with blue genes.

In my internal breeder box i have the same thing, bamboo cave, moss, nl java fern, Elvis (my SSS shrimp pimp), 4 female CRS varying grade.

To date he has berried 1 female in the 'Condo'.

When the female becomes berried by the selected male i remove her and place her back into the main section of the tank to reduce stress and provide her more room.

I will post some pics once i finish setting it up but wont be until i pick up more breeder boxes.

So how does everyone else with just 1 tank overcome their selective breeding

I still feel like this breeder boxes do more harm then good. It just seems so stressful to drag your female out of the main tank and into the breeder box which has a questionable amount of establish bacteria to graze on and place a male in to hassle her. At the moment i a large 3ft tank that ive put most things in but ive made sure that ive put only the males ill be happy with in the tank. Why have males that you wouldnt be happy breeding with? seems like a dead cause.

Why have males that you wouldnt be happy breeding with? seems like a dead cause.

Alot of my shrimp were juvies when they went into the tank and i am 8 hr drive from sydney and an extra day on the express post mail trail so is harder for me to get shrimp and sell them :)

I have never had a problem with breeder boxes in the past. My plans are in future to get rid of my males i dont want to breed with and utilise the breeder boxes to grow moss in so they are closer to the light

Why not throw the cull males into the breeder box and keep the juvis, females and stud male in the tank? I do that with my mishling juvis, crs females, bb, rw, rr and tigers. I just remove the male mishlings because i know ill be happy with more tbs (bbXrrXrwXmishlings), mishlings(bb,rr,rwXmishlings), tibees(tigerXbb,rr,rw), or timishlings(tigerxmishling).

• HOF Member

It's also hard to judge colour in some juvies I've found. I put some culls into an empty tank and left them for a while until I needed that tank , when I caught them out 1 of the boys had developed quite a good colour. That was in the red cherry I guess with some of the others the colour is fairly obvious from the start. I need to cull my reds:cower: not looking forward to trying to catch them again now there are so many plants. I try to catch the light boys out when they are doing the happy dance they seem a tad distracted lol.

• HOF Member

It's so hard when you have a lot of different types. I hope that I eventually find something I really want as opposed to the ones I like and then use my tanks for selective breeding and have one big one with a rainbow selection of culls. I know they would interbreed then but if they are not for sale it won't matter unless you have 2 cull tanks one for males one for females then you would need one for unsure of you just need more tanks. how do you do it? There are sooooo many choices its very hard to pick one or two to breed.

I use to have a AR620T and had 2 x Internal and 2 x External breeder box on it ....and had a similar system of selectively breeding the variants.... My main tank was basically used to rear shrimplets, and shelter berried females, and it worked extremely well. I think the issue some people may have with breeding boxes is that the water circulation, hiding spots, mosses etc are not sufficient.... Just 2 days ago, I wanted to selectively breed some shrimps (will post in other thread), and this morning, both females are berried, and I'll be moving them back in the main tank to chill.... Just got to ensure that the breeding boxes are fed (often forgotten), and as the bio film/food source wouldn't be as much as it would be in the main tank, powder foods etc would help. Due to space, and tank constraints, sometimes we just have to causer these alternatives....

• HOF Member

I have a nice ar980 with my fish in it . I am not going to replace them as they die off and then that can be a great tank for me unfortunately I have a few fish that might out live me!!!!

Found the pic of my ex-620T...had 2 x External Boxes, 2 x Internal Boxes & a floating Breeding box - 5 in total. Used this setup for selective breeding, and the main tank for shrimplets.

5d9f5722.jpg

When I finally get into my new place I'm going to build a new Rack with two 5x1.5x1.5 tanks divided into five parts & a 4x1.5x1.5 sump, on the top will be the breeders & when the girls get berried I will just put them in the tank below till she lets the shrimplets go I will just put her back up into the general population of that particular type. I want to have three tanks for KK, Pandas, WR, RR & BB(not sure which yet) & two tanks for tigers & interesting projects, hopefully a Pinto program, plus I'll still have my other 15 tanks for cherries, CRS, Endlers & Bettas, just can't give up the Wilds :encouragement:

p.s. Very cool setup BB, looks amazing :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Love that setup BB visions of what I could do with the AR980 but can't wish the fish away if the temperatures where the same I could have some breeder tanks in there but no to be.

• HOF Member

Sounds like a great plan Squiggle I am still thinking about a bench around the room and then they could be connected to a sump but will leave that for a while and enjoy my little not shrimp room as it is.

Your plan sounds awesome too Ineke, perfect for your back :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Yes I will get Alan to do it eventually but he has a long list of things that need doing first I do like the idea of a sump though but of course one won't be enough I will need one for the cherries and one for the crystals won't I? or can you run all the tanks on one?

You should be able to run them all together, you keep the cherries & crystals in the same tank so they will be able to go in the same sump system too :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Yes but I would like to eventually have species only tanks but no that won't happen that just gives me more tank space. ok one sump will do it but it won't be for a while

Yeah about a month if I know you, lol, flutter the eyelashes & snuggle in Al's lap, that should do it, lol :congratulatory:

lay your sugar on him :) *thinks of that song*.

I would love to get a sump but i dont think it will fit in my cabinet for my 4ftr

• HOF Member

The poor man is fair worn out -in more ways than one hehe- no the house things come first. nearly finished he's outside putting final touches to our old lawn area to make it ready for artificial turf- so no one will know when we are away, then he needs to finish his bathroom project, fix the cracks in the lounge, finish painting inside and then paint the outside.That will keep him busy for a while!!