How long do you leave food in your tank?

torface

I'm just wondering how long you all leave fresh food in your tank before removing it?

I tend to leave it in for about 24 hours before removing then I don't feed for the next 24 hours. Is this too long to leave it in? The shrimps are still all over it when I take it out...!

• HOF Member

It depends what it is torface .most people say feed as much as they will eat in a few hours. When I put cucumber, banana,zuchini and pumpkin I generally leave it in for 24 hours as after that it tends to break down and is hard to remove but leaves like spinach and kale can be left longer to break down the shrimp usually finish it up. I put all the vegies I feed on a bamboo stake or a fork and then lift it out slowly because it goes all mushy if left too long.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

Mines in there for half an hour before the snails find it and gorge themselves all day, no stopping them once they start, so i guess the food stays there as long as it lasts :P

Commercial foods usually get sucked out after a few hours but organic stuff like mulberry leaves, IAL & kale stay there till its gone, I don't use banana, pumpkin or zucchini so I'm not sure about them :encouragement: