Sign in to follow this  
KillieOrCory

Evolution of my fishroom... ahem... shrimproom

BlueBolts

Just need to shift it across...shouldn't be difficult, worst case is a small hole in the wall ?

KillieOrCory
Oh no! A mistake' date=' now you gotta tear it down and start all over again! LOL! looking great and yes I am very jelly[/quote']:dejection:<ahttp://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/ipb3/http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/uploads/emoticons/default_smiley_simmons.png' alt=':smiley_simmons:'> Had to have a few things go not exactly to plan. Thanks I am stoked!No holes on the walls thank you :) I thought about it while sleeping last night and I know what happened! It's due to the sliding door those power points had to be shifted along the wall a few inches!!! Oh well!Went and bought some polystyrene sheets on the way home. IMG_2480_zps2785c165.jpg12 10mm polystyrene sheets 1200x600mm each. Need a lot more but will get those later.Racks going upIMG_2482_zps62ce8746.jpgIMG_2481_zps8fd15427.jpg

Squiggle

Looking very cool dude, can't wait to see some glass in place. :victorious:

northboy

But where are the Shrimp and fish, stop mucking around and get to it.LOL

Looking good Serkan well done mate, cant wait to see it finished.

Bob

KiwiBigD

So Bunnings racks eh? They're not blue mate ;-) What sort of weight are you putting on them?

KillieOrCory

Getting there, getting there!!! Wish I had more hours in a day and more days in a week!

Yeah KiwiBigD the bunnings racks. I am anticipating not having more than 300kg's per tank. If you consider they are designed for 750kg I am well under half the recommended weight.

I've spend one whole day putting together irrigation pipes for the air and water.

Finally some results can be seen

http://youtu.be/3Wco76-CdWQ

And the airpump I am using

Edited by KillieOrCory

Squiggle

Looking very cool dude, but you've really got to get your ass into gear, come on, hurry up! we are dying to see this up & running!! Hahaha :smiley_simmons:

KillieOrCory
Looking very cool dude' date=' but you've really got to get your ass into gear, come on, hurry up! we are dying to see this up & running!! Hahaha :smiley_simmons:[/quote']

I know I know! :dejection:

I have quite a lot of buckets with tight fitting lids which is proving to be very handy moving the fish.

When moving a tank, I fill the bucket with the water from the tank, move all the plants into the bucket and then catch the fish and put them into the bucket as well. I put the lid on and write on the lid which tank the water, plants and fish are from. Then I empty the rest of the water and use this water to give the sponge filter a clean. Put the filter back into the empty tank. Now the tank and the inhabitants are ready to move.

When moving the shrimp, I follow the above steps but do not try to catch them. I leave the plants in too but take the filter out clean it and put it in the bucket with the water. In the tank with the shrimp I leave an inch of water and carry the shrimp this way. Remember my largest tank is a 2footer and it is not recommended to move your tanks while there is water in it.

Wooohooo! The first lot are at the new place

IMG_2588_zps6f3c14f0.jpg

I've so far only managed to move 16 tanks over :p Slowly getting there!

And when the room lights are off

IMG_2590_zpsbecd9d6f.jpg

IMG_2589_zpsd715693c.jpg

:D

Squiggle

Hahaha, awesome stuff dude, keep the pics coming! :encouragement:

newbreed

Awesome work Serkan. Between you and squiggle, I am getting rack envy and lots of ideas about getting one running!

There goes the tax return! ;)

ineke

"SIGH" Awesome Serkan now I'm lusting after something I will never have - I cant work at anything above shoulder height or below thigh height. Can't wait to see it all finished and with shrimp and fish in!

durro68

Nice one! And how do the racks seem to be holding up?

KillieOrCory

Sure thing Squiggle sure thing :D

Go for it Newbreed! :encouragement: Racks are fun, they are like high rise buildings you go up to fit more into the same footprint :P

Ineke, there was a time when I thought I'd never have a rack as well ;) Though it only works if it is what you want.

Hi Durro, I've been using these racks for over 12 months at my other house so I find these racks work perfectly for my kind of set up.

Just wanted to say my wife is an absolute angel :angel: We are getting early in the morning moving 8 tanks before I have to go to work and while I am at work she moves the water and fish into the tanks and gets the filters going again. She feeds the fish as they settle in as well. Love her a LOT!

So here are a couple of fishroom items I have now that I did not think of before. Now that they are in the fishroom how did I manged without them in the past!

Wet & Dry portable vacuum. A great thing to have around when you are constantly cutting styrofoam I tell you.

The fishroom's own kettle! Currently using it while putting air and water loops together with 13mm poly pipe. When dunked in boiling water they are very easy to push into connectors and taps etc.

Later on I'll be using it to blanch vegies and leaves as well as boiling peat.

And here is the progress so far

24 tanks moved and many many many more to go! ;)

Edited by KillieOrCory

JohnH

Wow you are powering along now

Squiggle

Very cool dude, it's starting to take shape nicely! :victorious:

KillieOrCory

Woohooo! First of the Cory tanks moved :victorious:

All the tanks moved so far:

and this is just a fraction :p

Edited by KillieOrCory

Squiggle

Looking amazing dude, are they Panda Cory's in the first pic? My favourite, they look like little bandits, hahaha :victorious:

edit: hahaha, just noticed that the names are written on the tank, duh! :stupid:

ineke

All I can say you've got to love your wife doing all that for you. Looking good Serkan :D

b00f

I am going to propose you fly me up there to lend a hand.

This needs to finished already!!!!!

Great work.

KillieOrCory
Looking amazing dude' date=' are they Panda Cory's in the first pic? My favourite, they look like little bandits, hahaha :victorious:edit: hahaha, just noticed that the names are written on the tank, duh! :stupid:[/quote']Yeah! I like panda's as well. Have to write the names to keep track of who's in which tank! LOL Thanks Ineke :D I love her a lot :couple_inlove:Haha thanks for the offer boof :encouragement: I am doing fine cheers :congratulatory:I am working on it to finish it as soon as I can! ;)This mornings workIMG_2654_zps5eed17cc.jpgIMG_2651_zps47f4d023.jpgIMG_2653_zpsb79570c1.jpgIMG_2655_zps9cf0ecb2.jpgTodays final lookIMG_2652_zps26516555.jpg

Squiggle

Wow dude, very cool! :encouragement: drooooooool!!!!! :victorious:

KillieOrCory
Wow dude' date=' very cool! :encouragement: drooooooool!!!!! :victorious:[/quote']

Thanks mate! So tired :P It is so worth it though.

To do's after work:

*Get more plywood cut at bunnings

*paint the new plywoods raw cut edges

*remove couple of the drawers from the rack at the old place

*put the drawers onto the new rack

*teach an hour of private lesson

*move tanks of a rack at the old place and put them on the floor :dejection: I need to move the stand before those tanks :P

*dismantle and move part of the rack at the old place

*start putting together the stand for the other wall

*start on the air supply irrigation on the newer rack

*start on the water supply irrigation on the newer rack

... die of exhaustion!!!

Squiggle

Pffftttt!! that's not much,should have that finished before dinner!! hahaha :smiley_simmons:

durro68

good luck mate! Will all be worth it though.

northboy

Who cares about all that stuff, just show us the finished room LOL

Seriously though mate looken good, now I know who to hit up for some of the Corys I use to keep (dam I miss working at Bay the variety WOW)

Chin up, you can take a holiday when its finished

Bob

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• ohaple
      By ohaple
      Hello,
      I have recently started working towards keeping shrimp. We keep other terrestrial invertebrates (isopods, mantises, and cockroaches) and thought that shrimp would pose an interesting new challenge.
      With our mantises, we have focused on bioactive vivariums that include a cleanup crew, microfauna, and plants. That isn't the norm for mantises, but it is almost a necessity in the shrimp-keeping hobby from what I have seen. We intend to take the same approach, including heavily planted tanks, shrimp, snails, and possibly some mosquito rasboras if we are able to establish our shrimp well.
      I have some experience with aquariums through helping my dad, who has had several freshwater and saltwater aquariums. That said, shrimp are completely new to us.
      My goal is to establish two shrimp tanks, a 7 gallon and a 1 gallon. I understand that smaller is harder.
      7-Gallon Tank
      Started with the Imagitarium 6.8g rimless tank from Petco. Modified the filter system to include more biomedia and a more powerful water pump. Using Eco-Complete for substrate since it is widely recommended for planted tanks and shrimp look better on dark substrate from what I read. Using Mopani wood as our primary hardscape. We soaked it for several days prior to adding to the tank, but it continues to leech some tannins. We are trying to stay fairly focused on plants, especially in the beginning. No CO2, but we are dosing ferts and Excel. Our plants include: Bacopa as a background plant. S. repens as a mid-ground sort of plant. I plan on letting it create bushes more than creating a carpet. Micro-sword for a foreground carpeting plant. Anubias nana for mid-ground/background. I would like to add a little dwarf water lettuce but haven't yet found a source. Our plants are notably lacking moss, which I read is preferred for shrimp. We may end up adding a little java moss but I am hoping the micro-sword will give them enough surface area to be happy. Once cycled, we will be adding shrimp. We are likely going to get blue velvets, starting with 10-15. Once the shrimp are added, the fish will be moving out. To start out, we are working on cycling the tank. We used some stuff from an established aquarium and added Safestart+ to kickstart the bacteria. Keeping the tank at about 78F with a few Zebra Danios and two mystery snails to keep ammonia going while the bacteria gets established. We are dosing Prime and doing daily water changes to keep the temporary inhabitants happy. It was started about a week and a half ago, and while we aren't seeing ammonia dissipate like we want, it is steadily working. We don't plan to add shrimp until we have 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrite.
      Here are some photos of the process and where we are now:
      First setup, keeping plants in as we get the hardscape ready

After setting up wood and the rest of the plants

1-Gallon Tank
      Started with a one gallon vivarium style container from Michael's Originally planned on it being a no-tech tank, but decided I would be happier with some water movement and filtration. I designed a custom water pump sponge filter. Used Eco-Complete for Substrate Using Malasian driftwood for hardscape. Sticking to fewer plants for this build to stay more organized. Monte carlo planted in substrate for carpet, and a monte carlo mat to cover up the filter. A little bush of s. repens. A small bit of anubias nana. Would like to add a floating plant, but havent been able to source any. Once cycled, I will be adding shrimp. Planning on 5 RCS or orange rili to start. Cycling this tank has been much harder so far. We added some Safestart+, but have not seen any real progress yet. I am keeping two small nerite snails in here to create the ammonia, feeding them since algae hasn't established. This tank will be much more of a custom project for us. I designed and built a 1"x2"x3" large water pump sponge filter to help the water stay a little more clear and give the bacteria some flow to process the ammonia. For the lid, we are also going completely custom, designing an acrylic and wood lid with built in lighting and containment for floating plants. We have a laser cutter and CNC so it is fun to have the lid be a separate design project. My goal with the lights is to have too much light available, and the ability to dim. That way we can grow the plants but turn down to reduce algae problems as needed. This tank will eventually go on my desk at work. Since it is a pretty professional environment, it is important that this tank isn't noisy or technical looking, and is attractive for client meetings in my office. There is a rather small available footprint which is why we went with the 1-gallon, even though it will be more challenging. So far, it looks like we are getting a little nitrite, but its slow going. Doing daily water changes and dosing Prime so we don't kill off the snails.
      Here is the custom filter. The sponge media goes in the acrylic cage, and water is pushed out the grated hole. It fits neatly behind the driftwood and is not visible except from directly in the back. The top is covered in a monte carlo mat to hide it better.

Here it is set-up and slowly cycling. We are temporarily using a CFL hood for the light to keep the plants going well. It also raises the water temperature to about 75F, not very high for establishing bacteria.

I already received some good advice from @jayc regarding how the temperature needed for Zebra Danios is lower than the recommended temperature to get bacteria growing quickly. I am hopeful that with some patience and careful monitoring, the danios will stay healthy and the bacteria will get going. I have read many articles about fish/fishless cycling and do not plan to change to fishless for this build.
      Any comments or advice appreciated. We are taking it slow, but are getting excited for cycling to complete so we can start adding shrimp.
    • Finley2
      By Finley2
      I have been using UP Aqua Shrimp Sand 1mm size for years with great success. Perfect product for me. However...
      I recently bought some from Tech Den (Australia). It was a larger size, about 2-3mm, and looked a little different.  It came in a vacuum-packed bag, instead of loose in a regular bag.  I figured it's just the larger size that I have heard about, but that it would be basically the same.  Not!  Within 90 days most of it has disintegrated to dust.  Stirring up the substrate produces dense, heavy clouds of 'smoke' - the disintegrated material. It's a disaster.
      Also the water chemistry is not quite the same. OK, but not perfect like before.
      Has anyone else experienced a change in this product, or know whether there is a fake version around?  
      Do any Australians here know where to buy the good 1mm UP Aqua Shrimp Sand, in the ordinary (non-vacuum) bag?
      Thanks.
    • Ishtarduzzie
      By Ishtarduzzie
      Hello SKF readers!
      To save me starting multiple threads and also so I know here to find answers I am doing a journal/question thread.

If I put this in the wrong spot JayC/mods then feel free to move it or tell me to re-make :D
      Sorry.... this WILL be long probably and I appreciate any time you take to read and answer my questions!

So, on Thursday (edit: tomorrow now according to an email from AU Post) I have a package coming from The Tech Den with a Aquael Shrimp Set Smart 30 and a few other goodies.
      My plans so far are:
               Iron sand (found posts saying shrimp when ok with it).... May need more than the 2kg I initially got...?          An amazing piece of Gold Vine that I found at my local pet store          The light and filter (modified) from the kit with the heater only being used in winter if needed          Filtered water (RO maybe? It is a 2 canister counter top carbon and sediment drinking water filter gifted by my mum a few months ago. Unsure brand etc) with JayC’s DIY remineraliser              IAL and alder cones         Some ceramic hidey holes         API GH/KH and Master kits         TSD pen - Xiaomi Professional TDS Meter from eBay Still need:
                 TDS pen as I forget to check the pet store and Tech Den were out – Recommendations?           Plants           Shrimp – Would like blue dreams and maybe glass shrimp           Fish – Big IF! I am worried about eating all the baby shrimp. Spotted rasbora since they are sooo tiny if any. So, according to the local store the light from the kit is pretty good and I have seen quite a few good things about the filter around YT and such. I was thinking of modifying it like this with a single though: https://youtu.be/I_ckQpO8GBo
      My old 16L (does not fit in spot and wary of using for fish since it housed mice) has been a bit of a dummy test on water temps and for the last week has been in a safe range. None of these have been 40+ days though so I will probably need to air-con or get a cooler for coming into next summer.... or something (nowhere near planned this part since should be cooling off by time cycled).
      So... to break up some questions that relate to the ‘still need’ list:
      -          I was thinking plant wise Anubias nana petite, Java fern narrow (still need to source somewhere to get... not sure local store has anything other than plain) and.... a moss...
      I was hoping for something less stringy than Java moss. It is just so..... wild lol
      Fissiden sp. ‘Vietnam’ and Mini Pellia are calling to me but are slow growers and needs med-high light and I think Co2... filter has a Co2 option if needed.... but NO clue what a 6w, 8000K LED translates to on a nano tank... and I guess that would depend on other planting...
      Also pondering about Peacock and Phoenix? But probably similar problem....
      Maybe I should just wait for if I get a bigger tank.... for anything other than Java lol *sighs*
      -          Sourcing blue dream shrimp! Your trade section does not seem to get many responses lol
      My local has glass shrimp (Australian... soooo Paratya australiensis?) who looked blue tinged at least, cherry red and cherry yello but no source of cherry blue.
      Would appreciate sources to get from Newcastle or Sydney! Gumtree makes me hesitate though I have found people with them up on there. One seems a safer bet but maybe not as easy to get to. A second one has potential and very easy for me to get to for Newcastle (no car).
      -          Now... going with plants that don’t need a planted substrate.... should I still actually go with an actual buffering/planted substrate for bacterial reasons...? Should I add hidden biomedia sock or anything like that since the bacteria won’t really colonise in a thin layer of sand, unlike a planted tank.

Starting to get into the excited but freaking out I am doing something to mess it up bad stage.
      Blue dreams are more expensive than I was wanting to be learning on... but if I get red cherries that would just mean another tank later lol
    • jc12
      By jc12
      I have been a long time lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from past and present members who have contributed to this forum. Thank you.
      This is my first 'real' post and I hope this would help anyone who might be considering building a rack themselves. As requested by @Disciple, hope this helps you too.
      Just a bit of background on my experience. My only previous build attempt was for a stand and sump for a 4x2x2. It was my first build dabbling with staining wood and using silicon for sump baffles, etc. As you can see from the photos below, they are pretty amateurish but I am happy for how it turned out as a first attempt. Next step is to fit some doors to it.
      The stand was built following this video by King of DIY. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ
      Anyway, this gives you an idea of the level of experience I have before I embark on my ambitious attempt to build a rack.
      Below are some photos of my 4x2x2, sump and stand build, and some of its inhabitants. Sorry they are not shrimp related and not of great quality taken using my phone.

Stand and sump

Filled up and planted.

Display tank front view.

Display tank side view.

With background in place and tank inhabitants added consisting of altum flora discus, german blue rams, panda corydoras, cardinal tetras, otocinclus, red cherry shrimps, darwin algae shrimps and darwin red nose shrimps.

Altum flora discus.

Panda corydoras.

German blue rams with their fry.

I have browsed many build threads including some from here and have built on my ideas collectively from different sources. The specific post from @BlueBolts here: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/1415-breeding-rack-no2/ has inspired me greatly and I would like to acknowledge that.
      I followed the DIY rack build as outlined here: http://shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/topic/7063-diy-rack-for-under-50-in-under-2hrs/

The plan, materials, and costs
      This rack will be located in the lounge room so it has to be 'display-ish' quality and light from it must not interfere with the TV or be too blinding to people sitting around the lounge room. Also, no unsightly hoses/pipes are to be seen. I managed to convince the Minister for Home Affairs that a canister filter and chiller by definition, is not categorised as hoses or pipes, and would be in no way unsightly. The LED display from the chiller would provide subtle mood lighting, and the gentle humming of the filter and soft soothe whirling of the chiller fan would be therapeutic for lounge surfers, and would also greatly enhance movie watching experience with enriched sound depth and effects.
      Hence I received approval to have a canister filter and chiller located next to the rack.
      I used 5 x 5.4m long 90x45mm MGP10 untreated structural pine bought and cut to size from Masters for $83.75. I find Masters generally sells timber cheaper than Bunnings. Since I have both of them close to where I live, I selectively buy what I need from where it is cheaper.
      The frame is held together by 10-8 x 75mm zinc plated countersunk screws. I bought a box of 250 screws from Bunnings for $27.50.
      The rack measures 1390 x 420 x 2200 mm (L x W x H). The plan is to hold 2 x 2'x15"x15" tanks on the top and middle tier each, and a 4'x15"x15" hospital/quarantine/grow out/sump tank on the bottom tier.
      Each tank would be insulated by 20mm foam around the sides, back and base as I plan to run both tropical (28-30 degrees C) and chilled (22-24 degrees C) tanks on this rack. Plumbing for air and sump would be hidden within the frame.

Please disregard the mess in the background. Still sorting out stuff in the garage after the move.
      From this:

To this:

• Zebra
      By Zebra
      Hey hey hey,
      Hows things everyone?
      Ive been getting right back into shrimp in a major way now, Had a few days spare so I got around to re-sealing an old tank I had laying around and building a quick stand for it.
      This is being setup as a shrimp/ low tech planted mostly somewhere for all my anubias to live I have some rather large varieties now, just some lava rock as the main hardscape, then course white sand, lots of ferns etc.
      standard aquaone heater, and the filter I'm running is an aquaone 1050 series ii. It's quite new I got it on the cheap ages ago and it's sat there lol.
      The tank was already drilled through the bottom panel from an older project, so I decided to run a closed plumbing system which seems to have stopped the notorious dead spots you sometimes get in tanks bigger then 4ft. And it's working great with only a relatively small filter.
      Probably Going to end up being for my chameleons and or something else. Loving life right now, even though I didn't sleep and it's water change day today haha 
      peace ✌️ 

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      As you say it may just be the light that makes them look a bit black, the ones I thought I saw were all on the sponges which are black. Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I'm pretty sure all the different colours of neocaridina shrimp are easy to care for! The only problem with mixing colours is them cross breeding which will speed up the reverting to wild or brown shrimps if they do cross breed. I say speed up as in my oldest tank I got a group of red  cherries 5 years ago and never had any others and they are mainly brown (75%) now. I have a densely planted tank and have been very lazy so have not removed/culled any browns ones over the years so at this point it would be very difficult to correct this without emptying the tank and starting again!!! Best to keep on top of it as you go. I would start off with just the one colour and get some experience with those first and come back to other/mixing colours a bit further down the line? With just 5 shrimps to start with you shouldn't need any food so see how it goes with them for a while before buying any. There will be more than enough biofilm in the tank for so few shrimps. If it all takes off and goes well then the 'complete' I would think should be sufficient when you have lots of shrimps though you should feed less than they recommend always? You can also use blanched ORGANIC peas and spinach and other plants etc which you can find out about on here? If you are going to use the CO2 then you will certainly have more luck with the lesser the CO2 I'm sure! If you can leave the CO2 off for a few weeks, that is what I would do, as you will then know whether the plants even need it AND it will be one less thing to eliminate IF you do start having problems with the shrimps? Good luck with getting the shrimps this weekend, drip acclimate for a couple of hours and ending up with at least 3 times as much tank water to the quantity of water they came in when you start off (or more). Don't panic if you lose the odd one in the first few weeks either, I always expect that to happen as they have been through a lot, breeder to shop and then shop to your tank etc and are more fragile than fish. Simon
    • jayc
      Thank goodness. You don't want to mix PRL with CBS. It's so hard getting Pure Red Lines as it is.  Keep up the good work.
    • DEL 707
      Thanks again. Going to do a big water change tomorrow then see how I go. Shrimp wise, there is a maidenhead aquatics near me that sell neocardina, so I was just going to use them to get 5 or so, to quite litterally test the waters. I've ordered a drip kit to help with acclimitising, I'm also going to turn the CO2 off, then slowly turn it on after a day or 2, to see how they do. When it comes to neocardina, is their care the same across the board, or are certain "colours" harder to care for? Would love a mix or reds and blues. Also food wise, what do you recommend? I was just looking at Shrimp King Complete.  
    • DNTM_Shrimp_Breeders
      Yes, I can confirm that rock / pebble rock / gravel will cause the pH to raise over time.  My RODI water comes out as around 6.8 according to my pH meter.  And I did follow the manufacturer's suggestion to wait 5-6 minutes when measuring RODI water because of the low ion.  After adding it to the tank, the pH becomes 7.2 -> 7.4.  The highest that I've recorded in my journal is 7.6 but it never goes higher than that. Here is my shrimp's diet: On M-W-F, I feed Bacter AE + Shrimp Baby.  On T-TH-S, I feed Shrimp Dinner. And on Sunday, I feed Shrimp King Protein to increase shrimp production.  Water change is once a month because I have a ton of floating plants to keep Nitrate low. @sdlTBfanUK It's probably because of the low quality image so it makes some of the PRL babies' color turn black 😁 But there are no CBS at all in this shrimp tank