Evolution of my fishroom... ahem... shrimproom

KillieOrCory

Hi all,

As some of you know, my currently my set-up looks like this.

With enormous amount of help and encouragement from my fiancee, we have now got the fishroom to this state.

It feels awesome walking in there to play with water :o

Amazingly for me things have not stop improving here! We are in the process of building a new house and getting a purpose build fishroom in it.

The construction started just before Christmas last year.

In this fishroom I wanted to have some of the things I wished I had or I had done in my current set-up.

1st Priority: Insulation

I wanted to be able to keep the room warm in winter and cool in summer with minimal power consumption. Living in Canberra we get cold winters (nights especially) and a week or two of extreme heat every summer.

We decided to build the the whole structure; house and fishroom, with a relatively new building material suggested to us by our builder. It is a thermal facade system called 'Exsulite' it is manufactured by Dulux.

It is a system that uses foam, foil, airgaps and various boards. It provides a lot better thermal protection than regular bricks for example.

Between this system and the gyprock regular insulation batts are fitted. The whole house including the fishroom and the garage has insulation batts on the ceiling as well.

I also decided against a door that opens to outside and windows to minimize heat loss through these.

2nd Priority: Access to water

I wanted to make sure I had all that I needed within the room in terms of access to water as well as getting rid of waste water. I decided to have a 42L laundry tub fitted into the room to provide all important 'cleaning' station. I no longer need to take over the laundry or worse the kitchen during certain maintenance of various fishkeeping related items.

I have also got a separate tap installed next to the laundry tub to have my water reservoir line to be permanently connected to this tap. I won't need to connect and disconnect this line unnecessarily in the future.

A center drain in the middle of the room was also a must.

3rd Priority: Access to power

As with almost everybody that is in the aquarium hobby, I always found I needed more power points than what is available around the tank/tanks. This always inevitably leads to using of powerboards, but even with using quality ones there is always potential to overload or something to go wrong.

As much as possible I wanted to avoid using power boards and double adapters in the fishroom, though I know resistance is futile and I might resort to these at some stage.

To ensure I have access to power where I needed I decided to get 20 quad power points installed in the room! That is 80 power points!!! I had to show photos of my current set-up to the builder and the electrician when their eyebrows were raised when I requested this. They were wondering why I need this much power? :anonymous:

I am getting the power points put in two lines; one over the other. One line is going to be connected to a wired timer. These power points are for the lights. The second line is ordinary points for various other equipment.

The electrician have put another box and 3 circuits in this room alone!

4th Priority: Lighting and ventilation

As already mentioned, will be lighting all my tanks relatively well by fishroom standards. I do not see the point of having a fishroom where you can't see the inhabitants of the tanks very well.

Each row of tanks are to have LED lights fitted above them. I have recently been replacing my T8 fluoro units with these.

I am finding this is saving me a lot of energy.

As I have been known to leave smelly things in the fishroom; like a bucket of blackworms that have died, it was super important for my fiancee that the room can be easily ventilated! :D This was something I wanted anyway as the room has no windows and no access to outside aerating the room is not possible.

We are getting a toilet/bathroom style exhaust fan installed in the room.

Its a type of model that has flaps that close when not in operation providing no gap for heat loss.

The room is getting two ceiling flouro lights as well, for the times I might walk into the room when the tank lights are off.

That's about the progress so far. We are still couple of months away from completion.

Edited by KillieOrCory
  • Like 2

Coming along really nicely there mate. My wife has been talking about a trip to Canberra for a weekend. We may have to come visit ;-)

• HOF Member

Looks like you will have a great setup and seems you have thought of everything. Well done

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

As always Serkan your fish/shrimp room & new house has blown me away. I just killed my keyboard with drool, lol :encouragement:

physics-fail-15_zpsdbc76fe9.jpg

This thread demands regular updates. Definitely subscribed. Seems like youve taken all the correct steps no expenses spared. This room has potential to be of equal or greater greatness then deans shrimp room.

That's right. That's your fish room, could never remember who's it was.

You have an incredible setup. Your Killies are amazing too. Very very impressive. Shame you haven't taken to wild bettas!!!

Kidding, wild bettas are my thing!

How many tanks are you thinking for the shrimp? Culls can definately go in with the Cories, but each different colour cherry will need a tank, hope your rooms big enough :P

Hi Serkan, love your Fish-room and the new one as well, may I ask what type of Led llighting you are using, cause I need better ones and also new ones?

Welcome to the nuthouse!

Coming along really nicely there mate. My wife has been talking about a trip to Canberra for a weekend. We may have to come visit ;-)
Cheers' date=' make sure come over on a weekend I am not working :) It would be great catching up, my door is always open.
Looks like you will have a great setup and seems you have thought of everything. Well doneCheers Ineke:encouragement:
Thanks Ineke, it is coming along nicely. Can't wait to move in there.
As always Serkan your fish/shrimp room & new house has blown me away. I just killed my keyboard with drool, lol :encouragement:
:) Thanks mate, anytime you are in Canberra let me know ;)
This thread demands regular updates. Definitely subscribed. Seems like youve taken all the correct steps no expenses spared. This room has potential to be of equal or greater greatness then deans shrimp room.
Thanks Robert. I will keep updates coming. I try to not think of expenses and yes I have not tried to save my pennies but get things done properly. The electrical work alone for this room is costing more than what some of my friends spent on their entire fishroom! Though it is never about the money, it is the enjoyment I get out of it. Why would I work so much otherwise :)Nah, Dean is the pro. I am just trying to make mine as easy maintenance as possible so that I can fit more tanks :)
That's right. That's your fish room, could never remember who's it was. You have an incredible setup. Your Killies are amazing too. Very very impressive. Shame you haven't taken to wild bettas!!! Kidding, wild bettas are my thing! How many tanks are you thinking for the shrimp? Culls can definately go in with the Cories, but each different colour cherry will need a tank, hope your rooms big enough :P
I'll probably start with 6 or 8 tanks dedicated to shrimp and go from there.Yeah it is a shame about wild bettas; I only have channoides, albimarginata, foerschi and kratois :p
Hi Serkan, love your Fish-room and the new one as well, may I ask what type of Led llighting you are using, cause I need better ones and also new ones? Welcome to the nuthouse!
Thanks ninja. I am using upaqua stride type LED's. I am not trying to grow high light plants so it is working great for me so far.

kratois :p

Yep, one up one me already. Damn! They are fascinating hey! Beautiful to watch and the mating is amazing.

6-8 isn't a bad start at all! You're going to be pumping out some serious quality shrimp!

Just for the record, Channoides are semi safe with shrimp, especially males, channoides fry are 100% safe, they just eat daphnia, seed shrimp and cyclops all day in my tank, so dual purpose and the water needs are pretty close to shrimp. Also, DAS babies make excellent first food (sorry Dave, if you read this). Foerschi are definately not shrimp safe, still shitty about that.

I'm badly addicted too, hoping to have 1200L for shrimp this time next year, on top of all the fish. Just have to work out where the hell its going to go.

This is going to be one beautiful room when it's full setup!

Can't wait to see what it's going to look like

Very nice setup! I am so very jelly! What kind of shelving/rack are you using there and where would you purchase something like that?

Everyone has a shrimp/fish room except me lol...awesome stuff bus keep us all posted !

Dont worry i dont either i just have 1 4ftr tank dedicated to shrimp lol.

Shrimp room looks to be developing nicely :)

• HOF Member

If you have shrimp and they are in a room you have a shrimp room!

well then i am going to go and put one shrimp in a cup of water in each room and temporarily have the first ever shrimp house in australia :P

If you have shrimp and they are in a room you have a shrimp room!

LOL, I disagree .....a shrimp room is a absolute dedicated room for shrimps ONLY (or fish).....can't make light of people who have devoted space and $$$ in creating a dedicated room for the hobby ! I have a room that have shrimp tanks, but not a shrimp room...Dean has a SHRIMP ROOM, KillieOrCory has a FISH/SHRIMP ROOM, but us mere mortals have a room that have shrimp/fish tanks ! :(

That's a fair call BB, I'm going to have a Shrimp/Fish room in my new house but it will have a lounge & tele in it, does that still count? Lol :encouragement:

So what do you call my room BB. It has a fridge, sink, lounge, tv, table n chairs and dog beds. It has 13 shrimp tanks. I call it my fish room, or my room!

• HOF Member

My room is dedicated to my shrimp and my computer the fact that there is a couch for a rest doesn't matter. However it could never be a FISH/SHRIMP room like those dedicated areas. I love it just the same .

• HOF Member
well then i am going to go and put one shrimp in a cup of water in each room and temporarily have the first ever shrimp house in australia :P

Now OZ come on!!!!!