where have all the shrimpies gone.

ineke

Wow, $25 is pretty cheap for a tank. Wayne had a really cool size tank, 2ft square by 1ft deep, perfect for shrimp :victorious:

image-74_zpscce3bd1f.jpg

• HOF Member

Squiggle I read in a thread that you used a sponge to separate a tank. If I got a big sponge and divided my 30" how would I filter and heat that tank given that I don't have a canister filter. At the moment it has an undergravel filter with only 1 lifter and 2 sponge filters. Would I be able to leave the UG filter in place and still use the sponge filter. If I don't have anything to pull water through the sponge would I need a heater in both sides? If the sponge filters were set up next to the divider would they draw any water through it. I sort of got excited about an easy way to divide the tank without pulling it to pieces but now I'm not sure how to make it work, I would only really be looking at the sponge as a divider

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

You probably would need to ditch the UG filter for a sponge one, this is how I set mine up :encouragement:

image-74_zps86faa0a8.jpg

I cut the sponge filter short & added two 45degree elbows with some PVC pipe to empty the water into the other side of the sponge

image-74_zps9d9822f7.jpg

This way both sides of the divider get filtered

image-74_zpsf74ad433.jpg

• HOF Member

I have only just set that tank up and don't want to pull out the UG I thought that could continue to work as an extra. I can see what you did with the sponge filter . Would it be of any benefit to do that with a filter on each side to transfer water back and to . Would that amount of water flow be enough to heat both sides of the tank or would I need two heaters?

Cheers

A heater on only one side will be fine. If you have two sponge filters going across the divider the there will be no water movement through the sponge divider & no filtration through it, just a really thick divider, you can still run the UG filter, just need to have water going from one side to the other only once & then back through the foam divider :encouragement:

image-74_zpscd4ff3e6.jpg

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle that might work out as a quick and easy way without having to cycle the tank again and that would give me 2 good size planted tanks. The yellows might be happier in that setup. I just need to find a nice thick piece of filter sponge.

Thanks for that

Cheers

Just make sure the foam is tight up to the lids, I've been told that the shrimp like to crawl up & across the foam, don't want to get any cross breeding :encouragement:

image-74_zps319b47a8.jpg

• HOF Member

That won't be a problem because of the glass brace in the middle

. Just need to source some sponge

Cheers

Can't help ya there, might want to try Clarke Rubber, just make sure you don't get any treated foam, i.e. fire retardant, anti bacterial, etc :encouragement:

image-74_zpsfa184b75.jpg

That won't be a problem because of the glass brace in the middle

. Just need to source some sponge

Cheers

How wide is the tank ineke? have a look at this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-Large-Bio-Chemical-Filter-Sponge-45cm-x-45cm-4-5cm-Thick-XY1038-/221151750153?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item337dabe809

This one is 4.5cm thick

Or if you are thinking of doing more than 1 tank here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3PC-Filter-Bio-Sponge-45-x-45-x-2-5cm-Media-Block-Foam-pads-Biochemical-Sponge-/270978464539?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item3f17933b1b

this is the one I bought to divide mine...works well, only 2.5 cm thick so wont take up too much footprint

You might want to look for something a bit finer, the shrimplets could drawl through the course stuff, I'm pretty sure they will get though the stuff I bought too :encouragement:

image-74_zpse06f7f14.jpg

• HOF Member

The tank is 50 x 30 but if I don't take the gravel out it would probably fit. I will have a good look on eBay tomorrow . Could look at Clarke rubber as well. Thanks guys

Cheers

You just want to stop the adults from cross breeding, this won't clog up fast like the finer one and water flow is better, if the little ones do make it through you can just catch them and put them to the other side when they get older to avoid crossbreeding. If it is too big just cut to size...

• HOF Member

It's 5 cm short but as I say that doesn't allow for substrate and UG filter height and I can always heap more gravel against the foam. As you say just don't want breeding size shrimp getting through and would allow me to put the yellows and reds in one tank and they would still both have a good size tank. Definitely worth trying plus I would still get 2 other tanks so if it doesn't work I can put the yellows back in another tank.

Cheers

• HOF Member

So back to shrimp things. BB suggested I don't feed my shrimp as often so have been fairly good fed them tonight with a new food and turned out the lights. Nearly all the shrimp came out except the 2 yellow females. Last time I saw them one was berried and due soon and the other one saddled. The boys came out any time the light was off. Torface has promised me some frog bit to grow in their tank to dim the light a bit and Squiggle has some floating plants for sale that I will get when he settles in his new place. Over feeding and lights seem to be the issue so will feed alternate days and I now have a large variety of shrimp foods as well. I do have biozyme that should be put in the tank each night so will continue with that. Don't know if there is a different light I can use on the aqua one 380 but once the plants go in it may soften it enough. So hopefully problem solved and I will see more of my elusive shrimp

Yay, sounds like an awesome plan Ineke, the Water Sprite grows like crazy so you won't need much & you'll fill all your tanks in no time :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Yes hopefully that will fix my problem although when the red cherries were in that tank they were out all the time.