where have all the shrimpies gone.

ineke

• HOF Member

I was trying to think of the words to a song but I'm having a senior's moment damn hate it when that happens. Here are some pictures of my empty tanks[ATTACH]2776[/ATTACH]post-277-139909850429_thumb.jpg

This is the CRS and Yellow Cherry tank

post-277-139909850432_thumb.jpgRed cherries out to play see I told you reds are always out

post-277-139909850435_thumb.jpgpost-277-139909850438_thumb.jpgpost-277-139909860565_thumb.jpgI've got a lovely box of Chocolates,

Boss Chocolates that is!

post-277-139909850441_thumb.jpgpost-277-139909850444_thumb.jpgpost-12-13990986057_thumb.jpgnow in this tank there are Rilis, CBS and Golden Bees if you look really hard you might see A GB at the front.

So my tanks have shrimp but they don't like to come out too often

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

post-1377-139909859758_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859763_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859769_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859772_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859775_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859778_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859781_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859784_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859788_thumb.jpg

Your tanks are looking awesome Ineke, I love the driftwood, well done! :encouragement:

funny-sport-Fail-photos-6_zps7690654e.jpg

Love you tanks, Ineke! Why do you have no algae in them. I have that horrible hairy stuff growing on many of my plants. :(

What are the tiles for? Do you just tie some java moss onto a tile and eventually you end up with a completely covered tile? I want to try that!

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle the golden vine looks good and they are specially for nano tanks. Garnelchen thank you. I don't know why I don't have algae although there is plenty of biofilm on the back glass. I don't have any direct sunlight in the room as the window is in a room facing a verandah. I also read on a thread here somewhere that algae won't grow very well if you leave the light on for no longer than 4 hours then switch them off for awhile and you can put them back on again So sometimes during the day if I am not in the room I switch the lights off.The tiles are for growing out different mosses as the shrimp love them. Eventually the moss will grow out and can be kept short for a grassy effect or left longer for a slightly bushy effect.

Cheers

Great looking tanks there Ineke. I would be happy in there if I was a shrimp :)

• HOF Member

Thanks Serkan trouble is they are too happy in all the foliage and prefer to play in there!!! I like the tanks with big open areas but 3 of my tanks are too small. Better the shrimp be happy than me I suppose

Cheers

Love you tanks' date=' Ineke! Why do you have no algae in them. I have that horrible hairy stuff growing on many of my plants. :([/quote']

Get some Darwin long nose shrimp :)

ineke, I have the same problem, but I'm hoping when they breed they'll be all over the place :)

• HOF Member

It's a bit sad when you have shrimp but don't see a lot of them. When I started with my first tank it was small and the cherries were breeding well so there was always something to watch now I have 4 tanks but they all only have a few shrimp in each -waiting for mass reproduction happening to fill them up. Still its great when they do come out to graze then I just sit and stare.

Cheers

As these are shrimp ONLY tanks, there's no threats/dangers for the shrimps to venture and take ownership of the area.....so I'd be doing some gradual changes to test several theories....

1. Besides the sponge filter, is there ample surface agitation. Theory is low oxygenated water.....Create some surface agitation, O2 exchange, and/or add a Oxidator

2. Presume you've tested all your WP, and everything appears normal......do a 15% WC, and note their behaviour immediately after.

3. Overfeeding ? Perhaps they're sitting fat & happy in the corner ? They are natural scavengers....

Part of the fun/adventure is to test these theories, and share them with the forum ... another theory to test is Why won't my shrimp eat bananas ...? LOL

• HOF Member

BB your reply is only half there!:encouragement:

BB your reply is only half there!:encouragement:
He is talking about the first theory Ineke
Sorry, updated it....accidentally pressed the "Post Quick Reply before completion.....:redface-new:

No problem at all I thought that's what happened. I was just being silly, being Friday and all :)

• HOF Member

Well I have changed wp , I have changed tanks for different shrimp -I know the yellows come out when the light goes off and the tank they are in has very bright light so getting frogbit to tone down the light although they didn't come out in the dimmer light of the cube either. I could try not feeding for a few days to see if they are too well fed and maybe they will then come out when I feed them and I could take a lot of plants and hiding places out but that seems a bit unfair to force them out. The yellows are the worst for not coming out, there are only 5 of them but they now have 9 CRS with them. Their is plenty of o2 as they have an overhead trickle filter that causes surface turbulence and 2 sponge filters.So any suggestions

cheers

As long as your shrimps are doing fine.....take a step at a time...so, perhaps this weekend don't feed today/tomorrow ?, or WC ....etc. I basically need push my yellow cherries away with a tweezer to move them out of the way...so there's no reason why your cherries wouldn't do the same.........something is just not 100% perhaps ?

• HOF Member

Yes it seems strange although now the yellows are out of the cube the CBS are all out and about. The cube with the chocolates in is a one type only tank and they are out just hard to see with the dark gravel. The tank with the yellows also has CRS and they are out and about . I think that the tanks have a very nice supply of biofilm on the back because I don't touch it and maybe they just don't need to feed out front. I will try very hard not to feed any tanks over the weekend and then just put food in the glass bowls and see if I can starve them out!!! all the other things have been done except put them in a tank by themselves and I don't have a spare tank now. They seem healthy and the berried girl is still holding the other girl is saddled I have at least 2 boys but possibly 3 but they don't seem to be upsetting the girls. It's like I said to Squiggle maybe I just scare them by sitting watching the tanks most of the time!!!!

Cheers

Lol, too funny Ineke. Don't worry, I scare the cr@p out of mine with a big @ss camera lens in their face, lol :encouragement:

image-74_zps0f10d49f.jpg

• HOF Member

Glad I'm not the only one that scares them!!! I think the final solution to my dilema is 1) to try and source a few more yellows-safety in numbers 2) stop feeding every day 3) probably most important talk hubby into 2 more tanks not 1 then each species except the golden bee and CBS will have a tank to itself then water conditions will suit each species. having said that the yellows originally had the tank to themselves with proper cherry WP and it didn't make any difference but it's a darn fine excuse for 2 tanks instead of 1

Cheers

• HOF Member

First now looking for 2 tanks - up there for girl power:angel: I went to several shops today and just can't find a tank I like but there is a shop quite a way from home advertising aqua one 40 cubes at a knock down price. I love my aqua one 30's but they are a tad too small so thinking I might go and get 2 next week if they have any left. Also thinking just thinking that I might not keep my red cherries then that will free up the big tank for something else or even divide it into two 15" tanks. Not quite sure if I can bring myself to do it and it won't be for a while because there are heaps of babies in there.

Sounds like a plan

Cheers

Why don't you just put the red cherries in with a shrimp species like CRS or something that wont crossbreed? Yay for the new tanks! I just ordered 6 2x2ft tanks myself!

• HOF Member

I probably will do that I do love the reds they started me off. I looked at getting a 2x2 tank today but it was also 2 deep and they wanted $200 for it.i don't want deep tanks because I'm short and its hard to reach the bottom. We're yours that expensive? If I could find a less expensive one I would go with that because it has nice big footprint. Lucky you six new ones.

cheers

ineke:encouragement:

Yeah, get two more tank & divide the 30" in to two, more tanks, more tanks! :encouragement:

image-74_zps620b5b8f.jpg

I got ex shop ones so they cost $25 each plus another $50 for delivery...Just got them so when I decide to get a rack up I will have them ready.

• HOF Member

Wow bargain. I only saw the 2x2 in one shop I might see if they are cheaper to have them custom made and get them lower in height can't see $200 value in tank only. Otherwise it will be the aqua 40 if they are still on special next week.

Cheers