• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      I have often got odd groups of fungus growing when setting up new tanks, though not seen it on any shrimp, usually wood or ornaments etc and that clears itself in time once the tank is properly cycled and settled down. If he seems happy and active just keep a close eye on him and see how it progresses (hopefully disappears). Maybe the tank wasn't quite ready for him? I'm not quite sure how quickly/easy it is to cycle/establish when there are no plants, it may take longer as they are usually a part (speed up) of the process I would think, and if you have just got an ammonia reading this week? Keep testing Ammonia/nitrite and nitrate regulary at this point? If the ammonia gets too high it is normal to do a large water change, but that may trigger a molt so only do that if absolutely necessary. Don't overfeed the fish either (common mistake) as that may cause extra ammonia? What water are you using, RO or Tap? Simon
    • Subtlefly
      So we have a rainwater tank under our house and I have a pond in the yard - was kind of planning on using rain water or water that has been cycling through my backyard pond, native pacific blue eye fish and native red nosed shrimp out there doing their own thing.   If I am stuck and in a drought then I might have to resort to filtered tap water...  does this sound like a plan?
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You have obviously done your research and I look forward to seeing how it progresses/goes. It all sounds very exciting and well planned out! I looked up the lighting and saw this video, don't know if you have already seen it but it seems quite informative (A80 model)! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZNKR2-kWbA With the filter you just need to be sure that the intake is shrimp safe so they don't get sucked into the filter? Do you know what water you will be using, Tap or RO and if tap water what the parameters of your tap water are. Usually you can use tapwater for cherry shrimp unless it has extreme parameters?  I am probably getting a bit ahead at this stage though? Simon
    • Wilbergz
      Sourced off reddit.    Basically same thing, seen another post with similar conclusions as non harmful just collected some stuff. Probably bio enhancers
    • Wilbergz
      Doesn't seem its any of those. Had this tank going with fish for about almost 3 weeks? Its just one crayfish with about 24 tetras (different kinds) ph is 7.4 ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 0 until this week  ammonia is .25. Did a 10% water change added bio enhancer stuff. He seems like hes still normal eating chasing everyone. He hasn't molted since I've had him or at least I havent noticed.