behaviour traits in different coloured shrimp

ineke

• HOF Member

Does any one notice any different behaviour traits in there shrimp? My Red Cherries seem to be very quiet, social nothing bothers them type- OK don't laugh at me.:o I have sat for ages watching my different shrimp and some other animals show different traits in breeds that have a variety of colours- cats, horses,dogs.

My yellow cHerries don't like to come out much and if I come too close to the tank they are off- I have had them in a couple of different tanks and tried different WP but they are still shy. My CRS are cheeky and if I sit and watch them they look like they just sit and watch me- take note of pictures of macros shots some shrimp seem to be looking straight back at you. My husband says I need to get a life LOL:dejection: but does anyone have yellows that are out there in your face type. I have noticed on some facebook sites that other people often ask if Yellows ever come out.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

My yellows are always out cruzing around, same with my CRS & GBs. Sorry but I did laugh :encouragement:

30299_5-22-12-hilarious-fail-photos1cake_zpsb96dbd0d.jpg

• HOF Member

LOL I knew you would. Mine have been very shy from the first day I got them and I had to move them again to make way for some other shrimp and can't see them at all- they are lurking at the back just peering out . Maybe its just my lot and they are sick of a big face being stuck to the glass watching them.:(

Cheers

I noticed that my red cherries will all pile into the Petri dish and eat their food there. However, most of my yellows fight and carry on and they each end up grabbing a bit of food and swim off to eat it. Sometimes mini melees break out when one doesn't want to share his/her captured prize. Funny to watch.

• HOF Member

I love watching them try and swim away with their treasure. I definitely think the yellows are slightly more timid it may be a trait like albinos their colour makes them stand out from the dark gravels where as the reds just get darker looking. Maybe the next tank I set up for the yellows could have a lighter substrate then they wouldn't stand out so much. It's worth a try!

Cheers

lol dont blink you might miss something :P

When i had yellows mine were hiders aswell. Perhaps get them their own tank and just have like moss on tiles or something then they cant hide from you

• HOF Member

That may be the way to go less hiding places for them. The light in their tank is off now and they are out grazing so must feel more confident. Will definitely try light substrate and mosses only see how that goes. they are such a nice colour it's a shame not to see them.

Cheers

i would personally stay away from lighter susbstrate, but thats just because i prefer them to stand out more. Regardless of if there color dims or not the contrast between a yellow and light colored substrate would ruin the look of the shrimp in my oppinion anyway. Its like adding liquid paper to a piexe of paper to admire it lol :) personally preference tho

• HOF Member

MMM you might be right there. Oh well scrap the light substrate and cut back on hiding places just a few to make them comfortable. Worth a try but as they have only just been shifted I will leave them for a few weeks by that time I will be able to sort a tank for them on their own.

cheers

i wouldnt think of it as cutting back, if you have say 1-2 plants such as a sword like in two back corners and the rest is mosses and stuff then you can grow your own mosses which will allow you to trade them for other shrimp you would like whislt admiring your shrimp so its a win win you see your shrimp and get new shrimp and lovely mosses :)

• HOF Member

My cubes have less plants and more moss tiles that I am trying to grow out. It's only my red cherry tank that has a lot of plants but the cubes still have lots of hidey holes along the back that all the shrimp seem to like. They are just good at getting behind things making it hard to see them and I only have 5 yellows so its easy to lose them in the tank. with the others there are more of each type so there is nearly always someone out grazing.

Cheers

It depends on the numbers...If you have two dozens they are less timid therefore more active around the tank :-)

• HOF Member

Yes i need to increase the numbers but I have 1 berried girl and 1 saddled so hopefully I will have more soon!

Cheers

Yes i need to increase the numbers but I have 1 berried girl and 1 saddled so hopefully I will have more soon!

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:[/quote

Best of luck Ineke ... A colony of yellow cherries looks great with a dark substrate & some mosses...

Yes i need to increase the numbers so hopefully I will have more soon!

Cheers

As do we all ineke...as do we all!

• HOF Member

thanks Neo shrimp they should when you see them. Mine are culls from Gbang so colour is a bit pale but they have good genes so hopefully they will have some better coloured babies. But hey I will like them regardless

cheers

ineke:encouragement: