Sign in to follow this  
kapp

Shrimp Temperature Tolerance

kapp

Hi All,

I've just set up my first shrimp tank with the shrimp, CRS and some chameleons, to arrive this week. I set up the tank in my basement spare room which has a very constant temperature. The room always feels pretty cool but since I've had my control unit hooked up the temperature of the water has been 26 degrees. I put in an old-school thermometer and it confirmed the reading. I turned down the water heater in case it was off but nothing. I even turned off the heater all together. The water is staying between 26.0-26.4 degrees. I've now put a desk fan on top of it to slightly cool the surface of the water.

So my questions are simple, is this too high for CRS to either live and / or breed? I was thinking of getting some yellow cherries as well, how would they go at this temperature?

Thanks.

al4n

Some will say those temps are border line for CRS, The chameleons & cherries will do fine at these temps.

BlueBolts

Cherries would flourish in those temperature, but CRS's would prefer temps at 22-24. There are other factors though, if your water quality and other water parameters are perfect, they CRS, may survive and breed.. Just off experience, my son's tank is a 20lt, but with a eheim 2211, and great WP....temp is between 25-29 degrees, and the CRS/CBS has been breeding. Shrimplet survival isn't great, and their colouration pretty ordinary, but possible though...

Honestly, if you're not considering a chiller, and those overhead fans won't bring the tank temp down under 24, then I'd advise to just keep cherries...so many colour variations now.

kapp

Thanks BB and al4n. JonX has told me good oxygenation helps CRS handle higher temperatures as well. I'll see how the fan goes. It's only a 2 ft tank that I've split into thirds, so I guess a small chiller wouldn't be too expensive (???) if I have to go down that route.

I've had chameleons, some CRS and yellows in my planted apisto tank that sits at 26 degrees. So am guessing they can survive but wasn't sure about the breeding or long term survival.

Gbang

Agree with bb. 26 is borderline. Reduces their lifespan but they will grow quicker as well. Almost too fast for their health. High temperature also creates way too much bacteria which the crs might not be able to handle at times

kapp
Agree with bb. 26 is borderline. Reduces their lifespan but they will grow quicker as well. Almost too fast for their health. High temperature also creates way too much bacteria which the crs might not be able to handle at times

Wow - these guys are even more complex than apistos...

JonX

Its entering the cold season now. You will be sweet -

Might want to get a chiller next summer.

jrc693

thats weird because my tank in my room fluctuates from 24 - about 26.5 and the crs have bred really well for me in that tank. got a nice colony going. but the yellow cherries in the tank wont breed at all for me at all... in my outside tank however the temp is like 21.5 - 22 and the cherries have gone wild

BlueBolts

There's other water parameters as well. KH, GH, TDS ..etc would effect their breeding pattern.

kapp
There's other water parameters as well. KH' date=' GH, TDS ..etc would effect their breeding pattern.[/quote']

Thanks BB. Yeah from the small amount of research I've done so far, the parameters for these shrimp, other than temp, seem very similar to apisto's, ie. Ph6.2'ish, soft water. Am hoping my experience with apisto's will give me a leg up here.