crystal clear in shrimp tanks

ineke

• HOF Member

I have changed my substrate to some ADA and black silica chips. The ADA had been used but is still in good condition however the tank is a bit hazy since changing it. All WP are good and I'm sure it's the ADA because it had settled then I planted and the haze appeared after disturbing the soil. Can you use products like crystal clear - a water clarifyer in with shrimp- it works great in the fish tank and really polishes the water I have red cherries in there.

Thanks

Ineke:encouragement:

With my exp I let the filter do the cleaning, usually becomes clear after few hours.

if ur keeping high end/sensitive shrimps then I wouldn't dose anything.

I'll let the experts comment on that.

How long has it been hazy? I find my ADA tends to clear up fairly quickly...

I personally wouldnt use flocculant as my first line of action. Id much rather leave it over night then do a water change the next day.

• HOF Member

Thanks All i will wait patiently it is a lot clearer already and I just remembered that the water was stained by IAL before I did the change and I used nearly all of that water DUH so it will be hazy anyway. My power filter usually clears the water overnight but didn't this time but I guess thats why:redface-new:

Thanks

Ineke:encouragement:

Carbon removes tannins. Flocculants are a bad idea, most are alum or sulphates, which aren't the best things to put into water. Some of them are however 'natural sources' Isinglass, from fish bladders and Chitosan, (oh this is ironic) from prawn + shrimp shells are occasionally used. Luck of the draw as to which one you get. Most flocculants from the alcohol industry are isinglass/gelatine but some are good old sulphates, so even food grade flocculants are still a bit of a lucky (or unlucky) dip.

• HOF Member

Thanks mr-c265 I will put in a corner filter with carbon and filter wool that should do it.

Cheers

ineke:encouragement:

• HOF Member

Ok carbon in tank and power filter has taken most of the haze out already so this should work well overnight thanks

cheers

ineke:encouragement:

Carbon is the way. The best clearer I ever used was biochem zorb. Alternatively chitosan is the bomb!

Don't use gelatine *repressed memory*

• HOF Member

Thanks Gbang will see how the carbon goes:encouragement:

• HOF Member
Don't use gelatine *repressed memory*

lol I don't want to blow it up!!!,:encouragement: