Need More Room - It's Rack Time!

JohnH

It's amazing how it works? I have a big bottle in my aquarium and often just sit and watch the media working. I'm pretty sure it keeps the nitrates down.

From my understanding, K1 doesn't reduce nitrates directly. K1 media only helps to break down ammonia to nitrates. Nitrates don't like oxygen, so using slow water flow in a denitrator helps reduce oxygen levels, and denitrifying bacteria grow. Plants absorption and WC are other nitrate reducing lternatives.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JohnH

• Squiggle

• ineke

• BlueBolts

That's correct BB it doesn't reduce nitrates, the unique thing about K1 is that it is self cleaning. As the pieces bump together they knock off some of the bacteria allowing space for new bacteria to grow :encouragement:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I'm in the process of upgrading the substrate to Benbachi soil and replacing all the java moss with some wonderful native mosses.

• 1 month later...

Really like the setup I am truly intrigued by the topup system where to get the float switch from. What kind of pump is in the barrel and how itnis all connected to the barrel itself. Any instructionals or help is appreciated :-)

The float switch came with the sump which I got second hand. They are available from a number of places, Jaycar being one http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SF0920

The pump is just a small aquaone power head pump that I had laying around. It doesn't have to have a high volume, just as long as it has enough lift to go from the bottom of the water container to the top of the sump. I just have a hose going from the pump inside the barrel that I have tied so it sits over top of the sump and feeds water into the K1 media section.

Hey mate,

Great work with the rack so far!

Can I ask what lights you are using?

• 1 month later...

In an effort to keep my MTS confined within my rack, I'm looking at dividing the 4 tanks I have into 2 or 3 sections each.

If I go 3 sections, each section will be around 20cm D x 45cm W x 35cm H, giving me 12 individual sections in the rack

27b61e53-9fff-46c5-9da1-57254916af5f_zpsf3094047.jpg

If I go two sections, each section will be around 30cm D x 45cm W x 35cm H, giving me 8 individual sections in the rack.

b517e79f-a5c3-420d-b8c0-806fc074a9e0_zps1db98661.jpg

Is 20cm D x 45cm W x 35cm H enough space?

Personally I wouldn't, you're sitting around 25 - 27L if you're lucky taking into account substrate and depth of water, potentially less. For shrimps I love volumes of water, it keeps not only the temperature more stable but water parameters as well, how are you going to deal with say an ammonia spike? Or water hitting 30c? And small volumes of water can get hot pretty fast

I should have mentioned that the dividers will have mesh covered holes. Water from the sump would go in one end of each tank, flow through the dividers, exit out the other end back to the sump.

Hey John, I have some glass I got cut for another project a while back, still wrapped in paper from the glazier. Paid $120 you can have them for free if you can use them.

What size are they Serkan? My last attempt at glass cutting was a huge fail so I'm not keen to re-visit. Plus I need to get holes drilled, so I may need to go to the glazier anyways. :crushed: But thanks for the offer anyways. :cheerful:

Hi John,

I have:

4 sheets of 344mm x 380mm

3 sheets of 342mm x 380mm

4 sheets of 286mm x 380mm

4 sheets of 302mm x 340 mm

Any of these any use to you?

I got two more tanks done this weekend, so only one left to do.

The top tank has some playground sand as this one will be housing my Choc/Black Cherry shrimp. I'm just giving the bottom tank another day or so for the silicone to cure before I add some Benibachi soil and fill 'er up.

P9220773_zpsc49d7185.jpg

• HOF Member

Looks great John. I think I might buy some for my two blue projects- blue velvet and blue from Chocolate as I'm having trouble seeing them against the dark substrate. Thanks for the idea.:)