Losing CRS shrimp

hoang1912

I am losing 2 CRS today, try to check and test the water, nothing wrong with it I believe. Dead shrimp is around 2cm, is it possible because of age?

Btw, my PH is high?

for KH test, 1 drop to become yellow, and GH, it's become yellow instead of green......

cheers

post-1074-139909859706_thumb.jpg

GH and KH test, fill test tube with tank water as you would.

kH, put one drop of the solution in, put cap on and tip upside down. should turn blue, repeat step 1 until water in tube turns yellow. remember to count how many drops it takes to turn yellow.

gH, Same as above but this time it will turn yellow to green.

20cm is large for CRS, but 2 deaths a day is perhaps too regimented for natural causes.

Your PH is high, should lower it >7. Deaths of shrimp can be a result of so many things, and/or a combination. Do you use tap water ? If its a molting issue, then check your GH.

API Test Kit...fill the supplied tube to the marked line

1) KH - liquid is orange. If the first drop turn the water to green, then you KH is 0-1, 2 drops to green then your KH is 2...and so on

2) GH - liquid is green. If the first drop turn the water to orange, then you GH is 0-1, 2 drops to orange then your GH is 2...and so on

for GH, I putted like 15 drop but it's still yellow. Anything wrong? :dejection:

Last week had 1 dead, I feel so sad.

If you're using tap water, what's the GH ? Do you have a rock/stone in the tank ? You haven't got coral chips, shells etc...in your tank?

Yep, I am using tap water with water ager. I have a pice of rock in the tank, 1 drifwoord, subwastang, riccia and moss.

I got some little small shells which is from dead snail.

I try to test GH het it come out with total yellow...

Also, how old are your test kits? I had a GH kit that was doing similar things - bought a new one and started getting correct readings

I dont know. I borrow the GH kit from my friend.

The top is aquarium water and the bot is tap water and it has been putted 10 drops

IMG_0133.jpg

Not sure the norm of Melb water in your area.....seems high...perhaps get your water tested at a LFS, as MIXO2U said, maybe the test kit is a dud ?

It might be a reason. Maybe I have to get a new GH-KH test kit.

How important of GH?

Is it matter when prepair water, I put water ager and little bit of.... I dont know what's that actually. When I keep fish, they said that it increase the hardness of the water.

IMG_0135.jpg

Water ager is fine. Hardness generator is not so good for shrimp - remember, you're not keeping fish anymore :)

Thanks for advise. I will leave it on the side from now on ^^. BUt some time, when you're losing 1 shrimp, it's fine? And is it good when I left the dead shrimp for the other eaten?

You should remove any dead shrimp as soon as you see them as it may pollute water and it may have died from disease and if other shrimp eat it they may get sick as well.

Just found 1 more dead today :(. Is it because I put BorneoWild Dance into the tank 2 days ago? (only 1 drop)

Maybe stop adding so many additives into the water ? Get some activated carbon in a bag and put it in your filter or tank to remove any toxins and just maybe continue with regular water changes with just water ages and no additives. Might help

Maybe stop adding so many additives into the water ? Get some activated carbon in a bag and put it in your filter or tank to remove any toxins and just maybe continue with regular water changes with just water ages and no additives. Might help

Agreed. Stop adding things for the moment and do some water changes. Let things settle naturally and see how it pans out - you may be surprised

RO is also your friend. Maybe worth looking into

I have notice when keeping crystals, "the more you try, the more they die". Keep it simple.

Thx guys. I did water chang 10% yesterday. Hopfully everything fine like last few month. And the reason as I found out might because dance made shrimp change shell. Some of them cant do it so..... :(

The BW dance will force some shrimps to molt, and you're GH isn't right, they'll have ,outing issues and will die in the process. Get your water right, and all will be ok.

Continue with the 10% water changes a little more frequent than usual maybe for a few days and try and lookin into RO water if you can. And it's true the harder you try, the more they die.

Try and stay away from other additives for a little while and see how you go. Only use what you have to (water ager) but nothing else till you are able to figure out what's happening and where the imbalance is.

GoodLuck

Actually, I am not quite sure about RO water. I have to buy the device and a tank to store RO water? And how much does it cost and consume?

Actually' date=' I am not quite sure about RO water. I have to buy the device and a tank to store RO water? And how much does it cost and consume?[/quote']

It is in your best interest to do a little research as there is plenty of information available here and on the internet, as people may have different opinions/experiences, you need to research and determine what is best for you (eg. your budget, living conditions, tank, shrimp, etc) . A thread on RO units was just discussed days ago, you can get aquarium RO units for around $100 which will be fine but as I said do some research.

It seems to me that you are rushing things a bit? As I know BW dance promotes breeding, molting, etc? You really need to let the tank get established first (I believe you just recently set this tank up and got the shrimp), patience is the key in shrimp keeping and not to fuss too much ( I have learn't this the hard way as I am sure many members here have too). Good luck with the shrimp and remember patience!

Actually I kept these shrimp just from Jun last year and when I went for holiday, I did some research and found out that BW Dance is for breading, has good review from user and I bought it and tried when came back here_Aus.

Before I go for holiday, there are some dead but it's rarely. I though it's just a natural dead.

Btw, http://thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=1767

is consider a Ro unit or just a normal purify unit?

Btw' date=' [url']http://thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=1767

is consider a Ro unit or just a normal purify unit?

That one is just a water filter that removes chloramine, what you are looking for is an RO/DI unit like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Stage-Drinking-Water-Filter-Purifier-Reverse-Osmosis-Small-and-portable-/281036861539?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item416f1a3063

Chi- can you drink that water aswell? It would kill two birds with one stone and the Mrs would approve if its dual purpose. Clean water for shrimp,

Clean water for humans to drink.