Sign in to follow this  
Dead Can Dance

Swimming Shrimp

Dead Can Dance

'lo,

I've been told if the shrimp and swimming around quite actively it could be because the females are ready to mate. It could also be bad wp ?

I have had a lot of molted shrimp lately, however, I think most of them are Darwin Red Nose Shrimp.

If I have blue velvet shrimp in there, and the DRNS are ready to breed will that set off ALL shrimp or just that breed ? (Because the blue male is swimming around)

Just for peace of mind, what would be the most important wp to test for to make sure they are fine ?

BlueBolts

Generally, when a female is saddled and molts, the males will go crazy, and hunt her down....if your WP isn't great, and been contaminated, they can have a similar reaction with more jerking and sporadic behaviour.

Different species I think releases different signals....when my CRS swims crazily, I don't notice my cherries doing the same, and vice verse....BUT i've not made a close observation.

Dead Can Dance

What wp can I test to make sure they are okay ? I know all matter, but what would be the most important ?.... I'll go test Nitrates and Ammonia now. :(

Generally, when a female is saddled and molts, the males will go crazy, and hunt her down....if your WP isn't great, and been contaminated, they can have a similar reaction with more jerking and sporadic behaviour.Different species I think releases different signals....when my CRS swims crazily, I don't notice my cherries doing the same, and vice verse....BUT i've not made a close observation.

Dead Can Dance

Ammonia might be 0.25 but nitrates are 0. Hard to tell under lights. :(

If I do a 10% water change, it wouldn't hurt ?

EDIT: If it is breeding, I have a small breeder box and put the male and female in, it'd be quicker ?

At the moment, the male is swimming crazily while she is just grazing on the substrate ?

EDIT EDIT: I changed %10 water. I noticed a dead DRNS outside the tank just then. :( They known for that ?

Dead Can Dance

Anybody ? :(

I'm worried about the shrimp.

Looks like I'll see in the morning if they're all well.

If it is breeding, how long do they frantically swim about ? More than 24 hours ?

....if they are all still swimming frantically tomorrow, I should change more water ?

torface

I hope you're shrimp are ok DCD!

I would've said it was breeding behaviour until you said a DRNS jumped out... You know im no expert though so sorry I cant help. I personally wouldnt put them in the breeder box though, i think it's best to leave them alone!

BlueBolts

When in doubt do a moderate WC, and add a airstone. Difficult to ascertain within all the other WP, or even a tank pic/video. Hope they're ok this morning.