Making moss ball

ineke

John that's what I got but I couldn't get them to sink' date=' they need some weight in them otherwise they stay at the top and the moss that's out of the water dies. I think you may need to tie them to a weight with fishing line.:encouragement:[/quote']

Yeah, I was thinking of a weight with some fishing line to get them under the water level.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ineke

• BlueBolts

• northboy

• h20rat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry ineke I'm not on to often but I did mean the ceramic rings commonly used as filter media.

Ninja the tank did look very diff that's for sure, my tank is divided and with floating weeping balls in one section, flame balls in another. Wish I could upload photos but havent had luck using the mobile.

Another thing to try is the plastic mesh that spotlight sells, it floats and I am using it for the first time to try and make a floating flame moss island in the middle of one of my sections.I am wanting to use weeping for the same reason but can't source enough atm

• HOF Member

That's ok Mick I know your not on much. Once my big tank cycles I want something to sit in the higher levels so I might try the bio balls . I thought you meant the azoo bio balls :redface-new: I have the bio balls and noodles so will try that:encouragement:

It looks really effective when they are at diff heights and placed at diff depths of your tank. Don't be afraid to put one close to the top of your water level if using fiss moss as it doesn't mind being exposed for a day or two aslong as it doesn't dry out.

• HOF Member

Thanks Mick I will certainly give it a go I like the idea of floating islands:D

• 3 weeks later...

I have made dozens of them using fishing floats. You can buy then in pack of 4 or 6

Tie fishing line through the little hook at the bottom & then tie a rock to that to anchor it (make sure it sits below the water level).

Put any type of moss over the float then wrap a fine fabric mesh with large enough holes for the moss to grow through. Fabric mash is much easier to tie off around the bottom of the float with fishing line & then trimmed away. There are heaps of sellers of fabric mesh on ****.

If kept under a grow light it will grow like crazy & The shrimp love it.

Cheers

I'd show pics of mine but I have no idea how to put pics up. :stupid:

• HOF Member

Excellent idea I will try that one out as soon as I get the floats - might even have some in the tackle box:encouragement:

The way I made mine a while back stay in the water was to get some of that invisible thread from the supermarket, just tie that to rock or pebble and secure to foam and there you go! Mysterious null buoyancy moss ball lol

Will have to make some of these, have bio balls to spare and some peacock and subwassertang too!! Great thread Ineke. Cheers

I have ball algae Ineke, they are only thumb nail size at the moment and not sure how big they will grow, Baccus took some home when She was up here but have not herd how they went?

Bob

The ball algea is in with the subbwasertang in a tank with the yabby along with the moss from Barney Springs. Can't say I have seen huge developments in either of the plants but that might improve with the onset of summer and warmer weather. If I can ever eradicate the pest snails out of my native tank I will transfer some of the algea to that in the hope it will grow better with shrimp and fish.

So still hanging in there, that is good news as it may have a future. That creek is the only one I have seen it in and it is in good numbers there at the moment in exactly the same spot. The Mini Fissidens from there is doing well to.

Bob

• HOF Member

Excellent Bob that would be an interesting addition to a tank:encouragement:

Hey bob, as a moss / algae person, what can you tell me about these algae growths in my tank? I quite like them so have made no effort to clean them off

post-3442-13990985183_thumb.jpg

Don't know what they are, but they look good and would not have wiped them out either

Bob

i hve the same thing aswell wraith ,,dont no what it is looks like a green version of blackbeard alge ,,

i will try and get a closer up pic, they almost look like the top of palm trees (if palms were fluffy)

I have that same algea, and it does look amazing some of my fish also like resting on/ in it. The only downside of it, is when it really gets its straps on and starts breaking off (usually from you doing tank maintenance or fish bulldozing through it), its very good at clogging up filter intakes. I do like the stuff as annoying as it can be, and it is such a lush dark green, just keep an eye on it and be ready for its eventual green take over of anything not moving in your tank. Also shrimp don't seem to eat it nor do snails but shrimp will pick micro foods off it. Sorry for hijacking your thread Ineke

• HOF Member

Not a problem it's all to do with shrimp, moss and algae and very interesting:encouragement: also gets me back for all my hi jacking:D

• 2 weeks later...

Lol this thread does make interesting reading.

Will pull out the old sewing kit and get to work on them this weekend. I knew my mum had a reason to make me sit through those home economics classes

• 6 months later...