Low PH for shrimp

Dean

Hi Guys,

i have just set up a new tank to experiment with even lower PH than i am already running...

My Crystal and TB tanks all run at PH 5.6 - 5.7 at the moment and they really love it.

But i want to see how fare i can push it so the new test tank i just set up has these parameters lol

EC on Left and PH on right

045_zpsf2711bd2.jpg

just wondering whats the lowest PH anyone here has been able to maintain very consistently and

had shrimp living happily in there??????????????

I'll start with crystals first and if it works and shrimp can be acclimatized with out to many problems, I will then give the TB a go in there :)

ooo i dont know about this dean, you might find that the ph may denature the cells within the shrimp and not allow them to perform the functions that they should. wouldn't hurt to try

How thick is the soil in the tank for a pH of 4.5?

I'll be impressed when you can get shrimp to live in the pH of battery acid.

"Duracell shrimp - last longer than competing brands of shrimp"

Had SW/GB on a Low PH tank @ 5.0...100mm Benibachi substrate in 26 lt tank. Shrimps survived well, no issues, BUT noticed the breeding rate /survival of shrimplets decrease substantially.... not sure whether this was 100% due to the low PH, but the tank is sitting at 6.2 now (9+month), and I have shrimplets and berried girls everywhere..

At low PH, "normal" bacteria won't live, and new types of bacteria would be created. Unsure of the shrimp function as Robert has mentioned, but I would think food would be the issue, as biofilm etc....wouldn't perhaps be as easily created within this environment. So feeding the shrimps would be a critical element to their success.

Great experiment, please do keep us posted.

I had my 45cm cube setup with 2x bags of Benibachi fulvic and 1x bag of benibachi fulvic super powder. The PH crept down to 4.8 over a week or so and sat there happily for a few months its now up slightly to 5.0 but when it was at its lowest I had 16 or so berried CRS/CBS and there was no issues with shrimplet survival. I have also been moving the shrimplets to a new tank which is running at a PH of 5.6 with pretty much no acclimatisation so I reckon they are pretty tough as I have seen no deaths.

• 2 months later...
  • HOF Member

Dean have you got an update on the low ph? How are the shrimp doing, survival of babies etc.:D

How thick is the soil in the tank for a pH of 4.5?

I'll be impressed when you can get shrimp to live in the pH of battery acid.

"Duracell shrimp - last longer than competing brands of shrimp"

It does last longer LOL Just a shame your metal net dissolves everytime you try to catch one though. Shrimp safe alright, you'll never

get them out.

My question is why would u want them on such a low ph, wouldnt be more expensive to keep shrimp, by having to buy more soil n stuff...?

Id prefer crs and tb shrimp to be acclimatised to 7.4 ph so i could just use my tap water ....

I forgot about this thread :)

Yes I am using this tank for growout actually. The last vid I posted of the baby TB is

In the low PH tank. I put them all (43 KK & 12 RW ) in there at 1 week old as test subjects and they are all

Thriving and happy as you can see in the vid.

The ph is sitting on 4.6 now and constant. Once the shrimp reach 10mm I will move them to

A tank with ph 5.8 for the next stage in there growth.

I find absolutely no problems with keeping any TB in tanks with ph range from 4.6-7.8

As long as the gh and EC are identical between tanks I can move shrimp around between different tanks/systems

Without problems.

Not for the faint hearted :) but nothing is ever learnt from doing the same thing as everyone else ;)

• HOF Member

Thanks Dean, I am finding the ph of my benibachi tank is around 5 I stopped the meter before it stopped so it could be lower. Its still cycling so not worried as no shrimp in there yet but wondered how your shrimp had fared

I am curious about the effect of low PH to the growth of beneficial bacteria. I heard that bacteria will not grow at optimum rate under low ph example 5.

Anyone have the reference about it. Perhaps someone already made a study about it.

I don know of any references to studies but I was told by a guy who's somewhat of a genius in terms of water parameters that the bacteria start to die off at around 5ph, I know **** all about shrimp this conversation was regarding L numbers but I assume the same beneficial bacteria would eat the same crap