Toxic Fumes=Shrimp Deaths

CNgo2006

I was contemplating whether or not to post this up but decided to let members know of the dangers of obnoxious toxic fumes to shrimp.

Firstly I live in a townhouse so the units are side by side, basically you can't let one rip without your neighbor hearing it. My garage has gaps that allow air in around the garage door and most of my tanks are located in my garage (except my high grade shrimp thank god!). On this day most of them had no lids on.

So on obtaining his license my neighbor got the idea that he could give Mcguyver a run for his money and fix up the oldest, rustiest, piece of s!@t motorbike you will have ever seen. Has two wheels and a seat but I wouldn't call it a bike. This guy has absolutely no knowledge or experience fixing up bikes and yet here he his with spraypaints, solvents and other toxic chemicals. On what I think was him attempting to start the motor, black obnoxious fumes filled my garage, got me coughing and my eyes started to water and sting. I have no idea what kind of petrol this bike ran on for it to have that kind of effect on a person. I guess you know what happens next, yes not even half an hour in I noticed that almost all the shrimp in my mixed tank (mostly culls and located closest to the garage door) had died and not long after a few shrimp in other tanks in the garage were dropping. I immediately started doing large water changes and added polyfilter and purigen to the filters. I seem to have it under control now as the remaining shrimp seem to be moving and acting normal again but will keep an eye on them,has been a few hours now.

I have no proof that the fumes from the neighbors motorbike project was what caused a mass die off but what else could it be right, just a coincidence? I think not! Thank god my TB/Tigers and high grades were not in the garage.

Casualties (Few yellows, SW/goldens, Cbs, Rilli.)

IMAG0546-1.jpg

Still kicking but don't look good (golden)

IMAG0548.jpg

Water test (as you can see water is fine) from water before water changes were made

IMAG0550.jpg

Any thoughts or similar experiences guys?

That sucks mate, sorry to hear.

I would have to agree that is most likely the cause, i has a similar prob with the wife spraying hair spray near my TB display tank which wiped it out lol

if you need a few shrimp to get you going again im sure i could help you out ;)

Thanks for sharing this devastating news, great to have this experience remind and warn us all of these type of dangers. Activated charcoal would also be a good way to clean up the water.

Dean, wife-hairspray-TB deaths ? ...... did you get her to sign the divorce paper on that day ? LOL. I'm sure as a gentlemen you asked her whether she was alright first, and that everything was OK...... that's what I did when my wife smashed my brand NEW (only 2 hours old) car years ago ! BUt I went crazy after that ! haha

That is really frustrating news Chi. Forget the shrimp, you shouldn't have to breath that crap in.

I would be putting in a nice complaint for a smoky vehicle and then exercising my new license to redesign his vehicle.

• HOF Member

Damn that's a bummer. Sorry for your losses hope the others survive:encouragement:

Don't worry chi, I'll bring some of my rilli over to kick start your culls again.

Oh man that's bullsh!t! I'm sorry to hear about this Chi but it was totally the black smoke, I'm a mechanic by trade & black smoke is raw unburnt fuel, it's like he just shoved a petrol hose in your tanks, neighbors suck! :mad:

image-74_zpsc18e9cf9.jpg

That sucks

I'd be sabotaging his bike

if u have any raw concrete at home

try and sly it in his fuel tank

will fix the problem quick smart :)

Thanks guys and let me assure you he won't be trying to fix up anything that releases any toxins near my place anytime soon.

I have had a sleepless night, lost a few more shrimp but they were already very weak. The rest seem OK, hope they will be alright now.

Thanks for sharing this devastating news' date=' great to have this experience remind and warn us all of these type of dangers. Activated charcoal would also be a good way to clean up the water.

[/quote']

Great for who BB? I am devastated! LOL!

Great for who BB? I am devastated! LOL!

Perhaps I should rephrase .....great that you're courages enough to share teh experience to pre-warn, and remind us of these dangers/issues.... Your thread would no doubt save the lives of many shrimps out there !

Thanks guys and let me assure you he won't be trying to fix up anything that releases any toxins near my place anytime soon.

I have had a sleepless night' date=' lost a few more shrimp but they were already very weak. The rest seem OK, hope they will be alright now.[/quote']

Did you feed him to the shrimpies?

And then feed him to the shrimpies?

Thanks bro that cheered me up a bit...Been crying like a little girl all night. LOL!

I can imagine how you felt. If you need more sunkists to boost your numbers let me know. Happy to give you some to cheer you up a bit :)

Thank you for the offers guys...with such caring and generous members...Seriously what other forum will give a second thought about you? Thank you so much guys, I am so lucky to be a part of such a great community.

What did ya neighbour have to say about it ?

Or is he currently disposed of under 2ft of lime in your back yard lol.

Brought back memories of when i bombed for cockroaches and killed all my shrimp

What did ya neighbour have to say about it ?

Or is he currently disposed of under 2ft of lime in your back yard lol.

Brought back memories of when i bombed for cockroaches and killed all my shrimp

Lets just say he will be trying to avoid me from now on...Apparently a few other neighbors weren't so happy with him either.

Mate so sorry to hear it again man. That's the unfortunate thing about people. Many are just plain inconsiderate. We all unfortunately experience mishaps like this in some way shape or form. Ill chip in for some help mate. Talk soon.

Drop me a PM if you need some yellows to restock. Just pay the postage. :)

----- Sent from my mobile so apologising in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

Wow I am overwhelmed by the support this forum has shown, in my moment of crisis, seriously guys thank you so much! I have been on a few forums in the past and never have I seen the love and generosity that this one shares.

Still finding a few more dead in caves and other hiding spots, some died like they were scared stiff still stuck to mosses and started turning kinda a black color? Since morning all has been well with the remaining, lets hope it remains that way. I have done more water changes just in case there are still any toxins in the water.

• HOF Member

Damn what a way to go. Hope all stay ok now. Best of luck.:encouragement: