Red Cherry Feeding time

blindfisherman

I tried to snap a few photos tonight of my red cherries feeding.

Unfortunately they are with my phone so nothing too flash.

Out of the many I took these were the least blurry :)

20130322213800.jpg20130322213921.jpg20130322214218q.jpg

The big mumma at the back is preggers with this male so I will leave her in the main colony for a couple of weeks and then chuck her in an internal box so I can keep an eye on the babies.

20130310221818.jpg

• HOF Member

Nice Cherries that male looks a good colour can you get a better picture of him? Is he a solid red?

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

Nice Cherries that male looks a good colour can you get a better picture of him? Is he a solid red?

Cheers

Not quite, but he isn't far off. He is similar to the male in the second photo down, in the vertical position, next to the ramshorn.

• HOF Member

Great colour. I haven't got any males that solid, got some juvies with good colour but they could still end up being females. Yours look to be the darkest males I've seen yet.

Cheers

I started this colony from cull quality cherries over a year ago.

Chose the best 10, let them breed for a few months and then repeat.

It's only in the last few months that I have started more selective breeding in internal boxes.

• HOF Member

That's what I have just done put a few good coloured females , their babies and a few males and I am going to let them breed for a few months then do a cull. The females are really solid reds and some of the boys have good colour but nothing like your boys. Will leave them be for a while apart from taking out any really light boys if I can catch them. Then see what I end up with. You have given me inspiration that I am doing the right thing.

Cheers

Ineke

My first 10 I chose turned out to all be females so I had to give them a pretty clear male to start. After he did the deed with a couple I removed him.

When I get some more time I will look back through my photos and show you how they started

• HOF Member

Great I would be really interested in that. People seem to put the reds down but they are still a very nice shrimp especially when you see the good Reds.:D

Cheers

Ineke

aq25.jpg

Found this one on imageshack - Taken around this time last year.

• HOF Member

They have definitely improved in colour! The little one on the middle right is about the colour of my best male at the moment.:encouragement:

Looking great. They have come along way from the mixed hundreds you had in the tank upstairs.

• 1 month later...

bored at work waiting for the builder to show up to the job site... so I thought I would share

img2339h.jpg

Very nice dude, that one at the back crawling down the white rock looks very impressive, well done :victorious:

its my girlfriends tank. she picked out some cherries from my breeding stock abd this is what has come of it.

about to do a cull.and move up my breeders into the tank