Adding another vertical divider to a sump

torface

I just realised there's a whole sump section... I posted my other sump question in another bit... whoops!

Anyway, I just bought a new sump and wanted to put in another vertical section. I cut the acrylic piece today but I don't have any aquarium silicone. Just wondering if it would be ok just to wedge it in to place using air tubing around the edges? Seems to wedge in pretty good. Anyone tried this? Or should I not be cheap/lazy and go buy some silicone? lol

If you're going to do something do it properly if you have the means to do so, so there are no regrets later on.

If you're going to do something do it properly if you have the means to do so' date=' so there are no regrets later on.[/quote']

You're right, no point in taking short cuts. I just wasn't sure if someone else might have done this successfully before.

I bought some silicone but haven't had time to do it yet. Looking forward to getting my new sump up and running.

Next challenge is trying to get the plumbing to all fit together...!

I jammed a divider into a running tank and the smaller critters squeezed through, lol. I fixed it by putting in a strip of angle plastic, that fixed em. Doesn't look good but hey it's only a quarantine tank.

Reluctantly I have to say, the boys are right, if its still a dry tank and you are still to set it up, do it properly.

Are you trying to silicone a Perspex divider onto glass?

Are you trying to silicone a Perspex divider onto glass?

Yes, why? Will it not work??

Only for a while and doesn't take a lot of pressure to break the seal, in my experience anyway!

If you score the edges or rough them up with sandpaper it will give the silicone something to adhere to, will stick a lot better, just make sure you clean the surfaces well & remove any dust & grit :encouragement:

image-74_zpsc63d036a.jpg

I'll give it a go... I'm worried it wont stick now... I didn't cut one of the sides very straight :s

I'll just load it up with silicone and hope for the best. It doesnt need to look pretty, it's only a sump :)

if I it is only an internal baffle and the pressure is the same on both sides then there shouldnt be an issue.

If you go to a window repairer they should have some off cuts of glass for next to nothing.

glass is easier to work with imo than perspex too

"Baffle"... is that what they're called :D

I don't know if im imagining it but the sump tank seems ever so slightly narrower at the top. So it might be hard to find something that fits snug.

I'm new to this DIY stuff, I haven't made anything since school so im still learning! :)