Sign in to follow this  
Dean

Hydra & Planaria shrimp safe removal.

sdlTBfanUK

The SL Aqua is a herbal extract so isn't actually a chemical and it had NO negative impact (they say maybe snails would die but mine didn't) so ultra simple, quick and effective. Mine was a new tank so there were only snails living in the tank at that time. The hydra I had were so tiny (tank was only a few weeks old so they were probably young) you needed a magnifying glass to see them and it would be quite difficult to remove them without disturbing the aquascaping as they were attached to wood (that is probably where they came from)! 

I have seen the traps on ebay but I don't know whether they are effective or not, but they don't look nice in the tank and how do you know if/when you have caught them all?

I think the SL Aqua Z1 would definitely be the way to go if you have hydra/planaria and you can get hold of it, it is a natural product and couldn't be easier, 1 dose and you should be done, though they say you may need to do another, but I didn't, though I doubt there were that many in my tank anyway!

Hope everything is going well with your shrimp tanks kms? I haven't seen many of my new shrimps (3 so far today, early yet though) but it is a heavily planted tank and they are adolescent size shrimps. I have put some fresh spinach and a pea in there today, hopefully that should draw them out? I checked the parameters etc yesterday and they were all spot on.

Simon

• Like 1

jayc

Traps don't work on hydra. Even with planaria, it is slow and it doesn't catch them all.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• kms
      It wasn't intentional, I was just putting the new shrimps into the tank, the dead shrimp just fell into the tank.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I would imagine that the crabs will eat dead shrimps, even shrimps eat dead other shrimps, as they are both scavengers. Not sure that they would attack a live shrimp but it is probably best t keep a close eye on what happens before getting any more of either shrimps or crabs for that tank! Simon
    • Grubs
      I think the live shrimp will be fine.  The micro-crabs are delicate creatures taking advantage of a rotting corpse. I'm sure the crabs will enjoy the protein.  Ordinarily I avoid feeding dead livestock to other livestock to prevent transmission of disease or unknown parasites although I will say as a shrimpkeeper the temptation is strong. 😄
    • kms
      Yesterday I put a 3 new shrimps in the tank, and one dead shrimp that was DOA in the bag, nothing happened to the 3 shrimps, but the dead shrimp was swarmed by 3 crabs as food, would you presumed the live shrimps might get attacked soon or later.
    • Lizzy
      Thanks so much for all the info guys. I’m very appreciative!  I’ll update once I get the RO going. Fingers crossed I don’t kill them all 😅 I’m really hoping this will encourage more breeding. In saying that, I have 3 berried as of the last week, which is pretty exciting.