Hydra & Planaria shrimp safe removal.

Dean

I was lucky enough to receive a product from "Aquotix Aquarium Online Store" a forum sponsor, to trial

against Hydra and planaria.

007_zps95fb98dd.jpg

The product.

http://www.aquariumonlinestore.com.au/products-page/medications-additives/internal-parasite-clear-50g/

Now i have tried most of the "No planaria" products on the market and they have always been hit and miss.

I have had many shrimp die from using these products over the years.

So when i received this product to test i was a little wary as i didnt want to kill any shrimp.

I read the instructions for dosing the product and decided to use it on my Hydra/ planaria grow out tank first.

Yes you read right, i have a tank setup just for growing Hydra and planaria lol.

I use this tank for testing ways to kill/remove them in a shrimp safe way :)

This is the tank, and as you can see i am a Hydra growing expert :confused:

019_zps9b63cdb3.jpg025_zpsb43cf659.jpg020_zpsffde11f1.jpg024_zps8354cc10.jpg

and some of the planaria in the same tank.

026_zps9ec491f7.jpg027_zps32493488.jpg

So i got myself a small mixing container and a eye dropper for adding the formula to the tank.

010_zpsef624f9d.jpg

Mixed up the recommended dose as instructed on the bottle and added it to my tank.

011_zps4f720c0d.jpg012_zpsd64d8586.jpg013_zps624d0fac.jpg

I left the tank over night and came back the next day to see the results (13hrs to be exact), and i can honestly say that i was amazed at the results!!

All the hydra were completely shriveled up and looked to be dying fast.

030_zps80b1db4c.jpg032_zps9b271a7c.jpg

I then started to try and find the planaria but could not see any?? I know that planaria live in the substrate as well so i was not

getting to excited about them yet :)

After the second day the hydra had completely vanished from the tank 100% gone, and left no trace on the glass.

and then i noticed something that looked like a planaria but it was all shriveled up but still trying to climb the glass.

But it was dying so i waited to see what would happen.

By the third day i could not see a single planaria in the tank even when i feed them, which always brings them out of hiding...

I left the tank alone for 7 days to see if any of the Hydra or planaria returned. After the eighth day i noticed a few baby planaria in the tank again but no adults.

so i dosed the tank again and followed the dosage rates, and again 3 days after that as per instructions..

it has now been 3 1/2 weeks and not a single planaria has reappeared in the tank :triumphant:

After this test i decided to try the product on a crystal shrimp tank with only berried females and lots of Juvi <5mm shrimp in it.

Again i followed the dosage guide and added the mix to the tank on day 1 and again on day 3.

There was no deaths of babies or mother shrimp at all and all the planaria were gone again..

I then decided no test is complete without trying it on a TB tank full of shrimp :dejection: lol

But in the name of science i did it lol

You will be very happy to know that again there was not a single death in the tank and after the second dose all the planaria were removed..

So to conclude!! I am very happy to say that this product when used correctly and the dosage instructions are followed exactly,

you can feel very happy that the planaria and hydra will no longer be a problem in our tanks....

I would like to give a HUGE thank you to Aquotix for directing me to this product and allowing me to do some testing with it.

• HOF Member

Wow Dean what a risk even if it was for a good cause. Not sure whether to highly commend you or tell you you are crazy:stupid: even if it is in the name of science but wow well done. Fantastic that there is now a shrimp safe product for a pest.

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

Thanks for the feedback Dean. I've known this stuff has worked for a while now, but wanted someone with more of a background in fancy shrimp to back me up so it didn't seem like I was full of bull. I have a personal philosophy. If it's not something I wouldn't personally use, I won't order it in or stock it. Only speaking here as an LFS employee and order monkey. I've had someone ask if I own AOS... No I do not. I am an employee :)

But I really am glad that your results have backed up my own personal experiences :)

thanks Ineke, :) nothing wrong with just a little crazy.. i always tests all my and other products to the fullest before giving them the ok..

CNgo, lol its worth the risk if we can kill planaria safely.. I use to love a song by ACDC many many years ago called "Big balls" made me laugh every time

i listened to it. your coment just reminded me of it again lmao.

http://youtu.be/_W-fIn2QZgg

some of the lyrics (i hope this doesnt offend anyone)

Well I'm ever upper-class high society

God's gift to ballroom notoriety

And I always fill my ballroom

The event is never small

The social pages say I've got

The biggest balls of all

I've got big balls

I've got big balls

They're such big balls

And they're dirty big balls

And he's got big balls

And she's got big balls

But we've got the biggest balls of them all

And my balls are always bouncing

And my ballroom always full

And everybody cums and cums again

If your name is on the guest list

No one can take you higher

Everybody says I've got

Great balls of fire

I've got big balls

Oh, I've got big balls

And they're such big balls

Dirty big balls

And he's got big balls

And she's got big balls

But we've got the biggest balls of them all

yes i know, its shameful but i have been trying to find a way to kill them without chemicals/medications for a while now without success..

and they are actually very interesting to watch :)

Wow dude, that's are seriously good result, you have definitely got some big ass b@lls, I would be too stressed out to use TB's as guinea pigs, nice work dude :encouragement:

image-74_zpsbf40f385.jpg

To all, I am the owner of AOS and Aquotix Aquariums...

many thanks to Dean for doing such a thorough job in testing scientifically... Im impressed....

thanks too to Saj for encouraging Dean to try the internal parasite clear ....

This product was developed for controlling all parasitic worms and flukes... Since planaria and hydra share a similar nervous structure, I asked Saj to try it, and after his success, he passed a jar of it to Dean - so without both, we would not have been able to prove the efficacy of it against planaria and hydra.

If anyone has any questions regarding this product, please feel free to contact me via either AOS or the Aquotix contact pages on the websites.

Cheers

Oliver

I can also add that it's safe if you overdose it on shrimp too. I don't advocate throwing the whole container into a 30L tank, but I've had the dose rate stupidly overdosed (dosed 1 tank as the whole volume with only 3cm of water in the tank) with DAS in there and it had no effect on the shrimp. I was trying to kill some nematode (not Planaria) in the tank at the time. I'm sure Ollie knows more about the active ingredients in the product. I've been told a couple of times but forget sometimes, so I won't tempt fate and try to recite them from memory as I'll probably be wrong. I'm sure he may chime in with that they are or email him. I personally have no idea how to even spell them, and I'm known for being a gun when it comes to spelling nearly anything.

That's great new in getting rid of those pests...Thanks to Chris & Dean for the ups...How much does bottle cost Oliver?

Thanks for the testing Dean and Sajica. Maybe this thread could be updated as others try out the product and share their results?

Thanks for this brave, brave experiment......as I was reading Dean's thread, I was cringing on each sentence...haha.

Another step fwd for the shrimp hobby......GREAT work to All. :triumphant:

I ordered some too :)

Though maybe I'm missed my calling? I should start a tank for algae, hydra, planeria and snails! They are where my true skills lay..

theres light at the end of the shrimp cave for all!.Good to know there is something else available to us. No doubt sales will go up aswell.

I can also add that it's safe if you overdose it on shrimp too. I don't advocate throwing the whole container into a 30L tank, but I've had the dose rate stupidly overdosed (dosed 1 tank as the whole volume with only 3cm of water in the tank) with DAS in there and it had no effect on the shrimp. I was trying to kill some nematode (not Planaria) in the tank at the time. I'm sure Ollie knows more about the active ingredients in the product. I've been told a couple of times but forget sometimes, so I won't tempt fate and try to recite them from memory as I'll probably be wrong. I'm sure he may chime in with that they are or email him. I personally have no idea how to even spell them, and I'm known for being a gun when it comes to spelling nearly anything.
How did it go with nematodes cause i hate the little bastiges :)

"How did it go with nematodes cause i hate the little bastiges :)"

in my tanks the ONLY thing it killed was Hydra and planaria.

Nematodes, seed shrimp, snails, daphnia, all still alive and well :)

There is nothing wrong with nematodes mate, dont stress on them..

Internal Parasite Clear was designed to kill parasitic nematodes and Tapeworms - free living nematodes are not effected as the drug has to be delivered internally... Soaking food in this medication may help if the nematodes eat the food, but I have not tested this method yet - though in theory it should work.

As for ostracods and copepods, they are physiologically very similar to shrimp, so it will be difficult to find a suitable chemical to destroy them without any harm to the shrimp. And as for the snails - Im waiting for assassin snails to appear... Hopefully native ones ;)

• Like 1

Wow, this is such excellent news! I had issues in the past with planaria and hydra and tried what was available on the market at the time without success.

I will be placing an order for sure.

thanks for the test sajica and big BALLS :)

Is this a sticky?

So out of curiosity to the guys that have bought the product, how have you found your results?