friend or foe

ineke

• HOF Member

2013-03-20150927_zps77e09b5d.jpg[librarypost-277-139909850146_thumb.jpg

can you please tell me if this is a keeper of a feed to the fish type of snail please. AND can I please have help with photo bucket I got it this far now I need to know what I did wrong????

cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

post-1377-139909859642_thumb.jpg

• HOF Member

Thanks for that I'm happy to keep them just some are pesky and over run the tank. Any idea what this one is? It looks a bit like a small red ramshorn snail but I'm not sure

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

Thank you I will let them multiply and see what happens. The tank they are in is 100 litres with about 100 mixed size Cherries so they won't overload the tank for a while other wise I will have a lot of catching to do

Cheers

Looks like a Ram's horn, in low numbers they are AOK, if they start to build up trap the excess, the way they build up fast is over feeding.

nearly every one OVER FEEDS.

Fish once a day and one day a week with out. unless you are conditioning to breed

Shrimp 4 times a week and once only on the 4 days. keep a few permanent feeders in there like IAL and other leaves. Once again if you are conditioning to breed once every day.

Bob

• HOF Member

Thanks Bob I am a heavy feeder and have cut way down but my fish are still being fed 3 times a day and no I don't want them to breed. I will cut back again with them but they don't have a snail problem. The snails have shown up in a shrimp tank also some tiny conical ones that I have been squishing. I feed daily with the shrimp as I do want them to breed but I am watching how much and suction out anything left over after a couple of hours. Guess I still have to cut down though and I so love feeding things!!!!

Cheers

LOL yep its a common problem. I only have to look at my waist line and think don't eat so much you dope!!

An easy way to deal with the Cone snails and that's a bad one in big numbers, although it will not completely eradicate them. A piece of PVC white Polly pipe about 10 to 15cm long and 19 or 25cm diameter, you drill a hole in one end to attach a length of fishing line or string, that is to retrieve it easily and fast from the tank, then you drill a hole right through both sides about 5cm from the other end, that is for a nail or something similar to skewer the bait, usually a bit of Zucchini will do nicely, then a rubber band around a piece of stocking or fish net (we all have stuffed nets) to cover the other end. Ready to go.

Bait it and leave it in over night and at Sparrows fart in the morning remove the trap with snails and shrimp no doubt. To fix that tip the contents into a ice cream bucket with water from the tank in it, remove the shrimp and put them back, The dispose of the snails, your choice, i put them in the compost or flush them with hot water and down the dunny, don't flush them live as that will survive the trip.

Bob

Meant to say Ineke, I take live Aquarium fish to the local (up to 2 hours drive) markets, most weekends, I don't feed Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, it is the only way I am able to move them most weekends with out losses. those fish get fed twice a day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but I also water change 1/3 about 4 to 5 times a week.

If i go away on Cape York for up to 10 days no one feeds and they are all alive when i get back, So they are tough and we mostly kill them with over feeding. like I say to customers that wont listen, it is like them being locked in Dunny that doesn't flush and they get there Three meals a day in there, not a nice place to live. I am not bashing you just putting a point across so don't take offense please, some one that is having troubles might read it and think to them selves HOLEY crap I must stop over feeding!!

Bob

• HOF Member

LOL thanks Bob I don't have many of them because they get squished pretty darn quick and the shrimp like them in small numbers. I will remember your tip if they get out of squishing control. I will watch the ramshorn as well if I think they are getting out of control.

Cheers

Ineke :encouragement:

• HOF Member

LOL again about the dunny. I have been aware of my over feeding and have cut the amount of what I feed in half and am very aware of what I am feeding but point taken and will cut back gradually to once a day. I have been made aware of it because my nitrate levels are higher than they should be and as ammonia and nitrites are 0 it has to be me. Will eventually give them a day without food too but you know what it's like first thing in the morning the fish see you and are climbing over each other at the front of the tank saying feed me feed me!!!

HA HA you have been trained. Like me they see the big S on your forehead, S for Sucker LOL and as for my Dogs I am very obedient and at there call

Bob

• HOF Member
HA HA you have been trained. Like me they see the big S on your forehead' date=' S for Sucker LOL and as for my Dogs I am very obedient and at there call

Bob[/quote']

Oh yes big S on my forehead and as for the dogs don't even go there. You can see by my avatar that the cool dude is every inch in charge and now he has a minion in the form of a younger dog they rule the roost. If an alien landed on earth and saw us out walking the dog , watched us pick up their poop the alien would go to the dog and say " Take me to your leader"

cheers

ineke:encouragement: