Long fin cory/hi fin cory?

ineke

• HOF Member

I have 2 long fin corys well I would call them hi fin because the top fin on one is about 4-5 cm high anyway with all my talk of not wanting to breed fish,the female now has a huge abdomen and I'm sure I will have eggs tomorrow. I will try to save some of their eggs hoping that the male hi fin will breed with her and not the normal bronze cory. They look quite spectacular and in all the years I used to sell fish- worked in a pet shop before becoming a nurse in later life- I have never seen them. So will set up a net breeder and scrape some eggs into it. Should I put a couple of shrimp in with them to keep the eggs clean?

I spotted the baby I managed to save from the second brood flitting around the tank this morning -so cute- but it is an ordinary bronze cory- my little male bronze cory has 3 albino girls he chases around and they have bred numerous times but all the eggs get eaten. Not worried about that as I don't want a tank full of fish.

I have never bred egg layers before ,plenty of live bearers, but this is the first off the egg layers. The Neons are breeding too even though the ph of the tank is 7.4 but their eggs get eaten too. All I need now is for the Angels to start and I will be in trouble!!!!

Cheers

Ineke:encouragement:

I find there are two types of cory with fin variations, well in the peppered that I keep at least. I have both the long fin and they are spectacular and the high fin which as the name suggests only have an extended dorsal fin. I love the banner on this one like a Knight charging along with a flag/ banner tied to his lance.P1030494.jpg Some where I also have a picture of a long fin albino (could be peppered or bronze) its dorsal fin is not as long but its pectrol fins are really long

• HOF Member

Hi Bacuus,

One of mine has a spectacularly high dorsal fin that stands straight up probably as high as her body length the smaller boy has one about half his length . The pectorals are also long on both and they have both started to come out and play so may be able to get a picture. Just amazing looking fish.

Cheers

They do look amazing, and I am glad the one chance I had to get one I got a male, he has breed with my normals so I get a mix of offspring. Nice to see somebody else who likes them, on an overseas forum I am on one of the long standing members gave me an ear bashing about having longfins, because they wheren't natural, and it was cruel because their fins can get caught/ damaged in a tank blah, blah blah. I don't believe they need any more consideration for special requirements than say a bubble eye gold fish, and people shouldn't have sharp pointy things in tanks any way, it never bodes well for any fish. Thankfully that member has now gone

• HOF Member

My two have no problems at all and I have mostly plastic plants in my tank apart from one large either sword or crypt ( not sure which) but I have set it up so although there are lots of plants there are spaces around them so the fish can hide safely and swim safely. Prefer live plants but the money is being spent on the shrimp! Some people are so rude about things they don't like. What about bettas with their long fins my boy often has to have a rest on a leaf and in nature there are heaps of ungainly long fins and beaks. Each to their own I guess but I love the look of my hi fins and hope I get more.

Cheers

A quick snap of my bit of a jungle of a tank, it doesn't look it but the tank is quite wide so there is heaps of space. Believe it or not all the corys are able to hide at once and then the tank looks like a planted jungle with no fish any where. DSCF3801_zps8ad822d9.jpgDSCF3799_zps49e5844f.jpg

• HOF Member

Cool I hope to eventually have my shrimp tanks looking lush and green then I will start on the fish tank but its a very wide 3 footer and has a huge floor space will take a massive amount of plants to make it look lush. I think I owe it to the fish though I don't think plastic is nice anymore .

Cheers

I gave up on plastic plants years ago, when I had to keep scrubbing them to get rid of algea. The other disadvantage of plastic plants is they give no real environmental benefit to the tank, e.g using nitrogen and providing oxygen. Also I have heard of some rather dim goldfish thinking they could eat plastic plants. Believe it or not my tanks are all low tech with the plants, I figure the fish provide the fertilizer, and I supply micro nutrients with water changes. Sadly plants are expensive and at times hard to get but thanks to places like this you can get some really nice plants that wont cost the earth. Just if you do go to get plants from a pet shop make sure the plants are true aquatics, one of my local shops sells lots of plants that are actually garden plants that are always destined to rot off in the tank. Plants like Iresine (chicken guts), Pursian Shield, Aluminium Plant, small palm trees, and dracaena, cordyline are all sold as tank plants.

• HOF Member

Hi Bacuus in my very first tank for cherries I did indeed have a terrestrial plant which could have killed my shrimp luckily through the forum I was told and quickly ripped it out. I do have 1 large plant in there but definitely not enough. Once I get my shrimp all sorted then I will concentrate on the fish tank. I have sourced nearly all my plants from the forum and 1 lot from a private seller. Now that the corys are really charming me I will also put in an area of finer gravel/sand for them. I do have fine gravel under a top layer of bigger gravel and when I clean the gravel that all comes to the top. I intend to have a big sandy area running through front to back so they can dig as they please and have plants edging and over shadowing that area for them. The shrimp have stolen all my plants but I might be able to get some out soon as they are slowly growing big enough to trim.

Cheers