Fish ID Please

BlueBolts

This was given to me, and it's with Bob's crabs, which I just noticed attacked it .... Thanks in advance.

This 57E54423-160A-4CAD-BCB3-97B5FCF69B69-5412-000005422A6E5523.jpgCD637714-A76A-4FF6-BAAA-B41F3114873C-5412-00000542231B623F.jpg

Thats a pep bristlenose isn't it? Or is it closer to a foot long and one of the big fat pleco species?

I'm pretty sure it's an adult pepermint brittle nose catfish.Because there's no brittle wisky on its nose, I'm pretty sure it's a female.

Cool, so anybody want it ? 1st dips to those who've responded to this post ? ....

Yep peppermint bristlenose and if its larger than 5-6cm I'd say its female. For some reason, females are like hens teeth over here, rare as.

Yep female Peppermint, pity you weren't closer I would grab it.

Did the Crabs give it a hard time ? it must have wanted a crabs cave LOL

Bob

I've already got 4 females no males, did the crabs eat her (his?) bristles by any chance? :P

• HOF Member

I'd love her I've got room for but I'm over here damn. You should check out the local prices the big girls are quite expensive. Auction her.

Yep sell or auction her off, better still get a male and get her breeding! Peppermints are quite popular atm.

• HOF Member

Breeding pair in Adelaide $240 on gumtree and once you get them breeding they breed good numbers

I can post ...no probs whatsoever....she'll fit nicely in a kordon bag ?

All yours ineke! Breed her and share the love!

So hard to continue HATING you when you are continuously being generous BB!

• HOF Member

If no one else wants her, I don't have a mate for her only another female common bristle nose so if someone has a male they should have her if not I'd love her. Will pm my address but as I say if there is someone with a male they should have first go

Cheers

Ineke

Dib's on inekes eventual male fry. Females are everywhere, where are the males?!

I just stared a new tank for L numbers only. I would love to take her and care for her very well. I will pay for postage and extra charge. I don't think korden bags are suitable as these catfish have spikes on the side of there grills.

Forgot to mention I will find her a handsome catfish with big muscle to protect her. But if you want it Ineke, take her, you were before me.

She is looking plump too, best idea is to double bag her for shipping. I always sent mine in a sturdy lunch box for extra protection against the bashin post would dish out.

To many boys in melb but so are good pepp breeders!!!

Did the Crabs give it a hard time ? it must have wanted a crabs cave LOL. Bob

Yeah, saw a crab charge at her, and gave her a nip.....thus this post, and offer to send her to a better place....

My dilemma is the free offer .... have several interested parties, but as I mentioned (phew), priority for members who responded to this post, and ineke was the second off the rank .... sorry Bob, please don't hate me !, and for all others, my apologies....

So double bag .... kordon ? or fish bag..... also, I have no idea about fishes (good with shrimps though !), I'm only guided by what everyone have said here, so hope she is a she, and not a he, and that he's a peppermint, and not a saltymint (you know what I mean)......

• HOF Member

BB I am happy to give way to Mr Shrimp and his knowledge of fish. She would only be wasted in my tank as I am not interested in breeding fish I want my money to spend on shrimp so she would basically be a show pony in my tank. As much as I would like her Mr Shrimp can probably make better use of her

Cheers

Ineke :encouragement:

Just wanted to be sure .... caught her out of the tank......she's approx. 100mm (10cm) from head to tail....

217E07EB-177F-4D6F-BE20-E5FA1EE118D7-5572-0000055D9C9AAE42.jpg9A489AE3-6B71-46CB-9189-F735D2B5C0CB-5572-0000055D5A1A957F.jpg

So is she a she, and definitely a peppermint ? Any other pics/angles to confirm ?

post-24-139909848787_thumb.jpg

Lovely looking Peppermint BB, and very generous of you to give her away :applause:

I have two males peppermints and I think they're great fish. They do get picked on a bit by the much larger (and older) common bristlenose, but at least I know now that if I ever want to rehome them then there are people here who like them :p

One thing I would watch out for when you go to catch her is that, if she sticks her gill-spike things out, she doesn't get tangled in the net. That happened to me once, and it took my like 10 minutes to cut the net away :)

Oops, didn't post quickly enough.

Definitely looks like a female peppermint bristlenose to me. She might still have a bit of growing left to do, but I'm not sure how big the females get (my male is about 15cm) :)