Riffle Shrimp

Aquathumb

I managed to acquire 3 riffle shrimp thanks to some information/tactics I received in another thread. here is a short video of one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NgdIUX7Vhk

• HOF Member

Nice shrimp I didn't realise they were so much bigger :encouragement:

Sweet vid dude, riffle shrimp are really cool. Gotta love the inquisitive Endlers, they've just gotta be on tv, lol :encouragement:

image-74_zpsee8d7641.jpg

Nice shrimp I didn't realise they were so much bigger :encouragement:

I was shocked when I first saw them too!

Sweet vid dude' date=' riffle shrimp are really cool. Gotta love the inquisitive Endlers, they've just gotta be on tv, lol :encouragement:

[img']http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/Betta_lover/image-74_zpsee8d7641.jpg

haha I know right! they are in at least 90% of my photos and videos from that tank... little sticky-beaks!

Love the riffle shrimp, when the waters calm down around here again I think I know of some possible places to find them, and plan to have a go at tracking some down.

Good Vid Thumb I like the way you captured her using her fans as pincers, tried to tell some one that once and they would not believe me, is she carrying eggs?

Bacc the hill to the east of town should have some Riffles on it, if I remember right the TV relay are on it?

Bob

Another great-looking native shrimp. I will need to add some Riffle's to my shrimp arsenal soon.

Just to add confusion to the whole thing, a couple of Scientists are about to look a the Northern Riffles, because they think they are a different species and there could be a third one on Cape york to.

I know in a couple of populations up here they are quite a bit bigger than Southern ones.

Bob

I did have a few low land ones, i will have a look in the pond if I can get time to go out to them (10KM AWAY)

I am due to get some High land ones from a breeder on the Table lands? when is the problem and they are not cheep usually about $15.00ea for 5cm Females

Bob

I'm not 100% sure if she is berried, my wife seems to think she is. Ill keep a close eye on her. She is massive compared to my cherrys in the tank at least 6cm maybe 7. Would love to see the northern ones if you say they are bigger!

I am going to give it a serious crack at breeding them. I will put her in a breeder net with large holes and strong flow so she wont get a chance to eat the babes and I am working on some green water for the shrimplets (if i get any)

Sounds like a plan dude, would love to see some little riffle shrimplets :victorious:

image-74_zpsc924e623.jpg

One of the best ways to do it is to keep her on her own in an old established tank with mulm in the bottom and use green water and hard boiled egg yoke (in moderation), the young are small so get eaten by every thing, but the don't go through a planktonic transformation like some do. She wont eat to many unless there is a strong flow to keep then circulating for her to catch, you are better off moving her when they leave her tail.

Do you have one under about 3.5m? because any thing over that is female

There is a few more tips to raise them and that are not hard to breed, most make the mistake of trying to do it communally, wont work.

Bob

If you don't have males or want some more AT give me a bell - I have about 15 you can have some / all.

if you successfully raise young I'll get some back off you. They berry up regularly but I have never tried to raise they young.

I am in NZ till Friday so needs to be after that.