CRS xCBS

ineke

• HOF Member

If you keep black and red in the same tank and they interbreed what do you get? ( besides shrimplets)

• HOF Member

oK thanks for that I thought that might be the case.

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member

I'm just asking because I now have an empty 34 litre tank. I was getting some Rilis but I don't think that is happening now. I don't know whether to get some CBS or to try and source some Rilis- just can't have an empty tank!!!!

I'm just asking because I now have an empty 34 litre tank. I was getting some Rilis but I don't think that is happening now. I don't know whether to get some CBS or to try and source some Rilis- just can't have an empty tank!!!!

Woah...extremely rare in our hobby to have a spare tank, nice problem to have...sigh. Selective breeding for quality is always encourage.....my advise, anything that makes you smile when you see it, is the one to get !

• HOF Member

Thanks BB Now I know not to put CRS and CBS together it is probably going to be CBS that will make me smile!!!

Great choice, we need more hobbyist focused on CBS, as it's quality in Aust isn't very good. Would love to see you colony of CBS ?

• HOF Member

I only have some of Gbangs CRS C grade at the moment just to make sure I can keep them alive. I will go and have a look at some SS CBS here in SA someone is selling them for $6 . Don't know if they are members of SKF but as I'm still on restricted budget it would be a start.

Woah...extremely rare in our hobby to have a spare tank' date=' nice problem to have...sigh. Selective breeding for quality is always encourage.....my advise, anything that makes you smile when you see it, is the one to get ![/quote']

Black tigers it is then!.... Good choice ineke! LOL!

CRS and the like are not hard to look after its more about making sure you have a stable environment for them to go into :)

• HOF Member
CRS and the like are not hard to look after its more about making sure you have a stable environment for them to go into :)

I read your earlier reply about leaving things alone once they are stable and I fully agree with you. I think we do tend to play around with WP especially when new like me.

My main problem is I am doing this on limited funding and I would be worried about losing a more expensive shrimp ( I worry about the cheaper ones too) because I can't really afford it. I am no longer working so losing a $25 or more shrimp would hit me hard. Apart from my red cherries my shrimp are all culls so they were cheap when you don't count the delivery costs. As I am just doing it as a little hobby to keep me busy the quality isn't so important and the really bad ones can go and live with the fish -the ones I have in there have survived for 2 months so I don't think my fish will worry them. But if I start to pay higher prices the fun would be gone with the stress of not losing anything!!!

I know what you mean, i only brought my first SS shrimp recently from 2OFUS and GBANG for the same reasons. I started off with 10 CRS and got lucky with some females and got them to breed. Never to the point where i had any to sell. Unfortunately i moved house and someone looked after them for me in one of their tanks and nearly all of them. Now I have started again with the ones i brought from 2OFUS,GBANG andf my survivors :)

My main aim atm is to hopefully breed some nice looking shrimp and some decent numbers that i can use to fund my goal of having a set up for BB's and similar which is 3 years away :). my inspiration is the pic of Ace's shrimp tank with like 1000 CRS in it :). I think the benefit of working on a limited budget allows to reap more reward once you have established a colony and they are giving back to you in the sense you can sell your culls and buy some nicer shrimp.

I am on a limited budget to so know what its like, i am making my final shrimp purchase on Saturday from 2OFUS and then its up to my own devices with whats in my tank :).

• HOF Member

Yes that's it . It will be a nice achievement to get some nice shrimp from the ones we can afford. I just hope that as the culls and lower grades still come from parents with good genes I might be lucky and get some half decent ones. I have quite a few nice cherries now and one male that was born here is really nicely coloured better than some of the females. I am leaving all together in a 100 litre tank to breed for a few months then I will cull all the light ones and see how the others go. Some of the really little one are showing lots of colour already.