Hanna Instruments Photometer: HI 83203 (water chemistry tester)

kapp

Hi All,

Am new to SKF and shrimp keeping, so not much to post regarding shrimp. However thought I'd post this review here that I recently put up on a different forum. Given how sensitive shrimp are to water parameters, it's probably more relevant for shrimp keepers than most fish set ups.

Here's my review up of this water chemistry tester I purchased a few months ago.

I've used Hanna Instruments handheld TDS and pH meters before but decided to spend my hard earned on this new item. Two things to note here: firstly, this gear isn't cheap. The HI 83203 photometer is roughly $875-$900; second, the reason I went this route is that I'm colourblind enough so that colour chart based tests are all but useless for me. Given I keep apistos (and now shrimp) who are generally more susceptible to ammonia / nitrogen and other chemicals, being able to accurately monitor water chemistry is something I haven't really been able to do in the past.

What does it do? Well in short it’s a lab quality water chemistry tester. You still need reagents (powders or liquids depending on what you’re testing for) and the tests do take a while to get the results: from the point of adding the reagents, the tests can take anywhere from 3:30-6 mins to run. But while you’re waiting on the test results, you can start preparing the next test.

Benefits: well essentially the biggest benefit, other than doing away with colour charts, is the accuracy of the results. Additionally, within one test, you can get multiple results – although you probably don’t need the additional tests results it gives in all cases: eg. with the ammonia Low Range test, you can also get ammonium mg/l and ammonia-nitrogen. Although not exactly sure the difference between each of these, if they’re stable relationships anyway and to what impact they have on aquarium inhabitants – I need to do more reading. The phosphate test gives three different readings as well (Phosphate, Phosphorous and Triphosphorus Pentoxide…) Hahaha Yeah, I’ve no idea on that last one is either, except the chemical symbol is P3O5.

The HI 83203 can test many different water parameters: I currently use if for: Ammonia LR, Nitrates, Nitrites LR, Phosphates (and I also have pH tests if I want to verify my constant pH monitor panel in the tank.) It’s pretty easy to use, with easy to understand instructions. It can also keep a history of your results – up to 200 individual measurements. There’s also the capability of linking it to your computer. Powder reagents are packaged in pre-measured amounts for ease of use.

Would I recommend this unit? Absolutely. But only if you’re running more than one tank and only if your livestock have specific water parameter requirements. It definitely is overkill for anyone who can use colour charts without an issue and it definitely does a lot more than I’m using it for (hence the price) but I’m enjoying finally being confident in knowing the water chemistry of my tanks.

Tips on purchasing: I went though Hanna Instruments Australia. There are cheaper overseas retailers online but for the sake of local warranty and support, it’s worth the few extra bucks to buy local. The reagents are also not cheap but they usually come in boxes of 100-200 tests. I also got a couple of their handheld meters, like a new TDS tester as my old one was really old and would need a replacement electrode anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info kapp. I use a similar tester at work, different brand but same methods, and find its easy to use as well.

Yeah thx for the info. I'm like you, not too good at judging the colour charts so if I become rich enough I'll definitely buy myself one of those devices.

Yeah thx for the info. I'm like you' date=' not too good at judging the colour charts so if I become rich enough I'll definitely buy myself one of those devices.[/quote']

Thanks guys.

@Ziek - I definitely starting looking at much cheaper price brackets but there didn't seem to be anything available either here or overseas. The only cheaper units I could find were different brands of just TDS/Conductivity and pH meters and the like. Hanna also have portable photometers available that measure a few specific parameters each but not in the combination in one unit that I was looking for. So definitely broke the budget but kind of happy about that now I'm getting into shrimp keeping as well.

Thanks for that, as I am in the field a lot and taking test where ever I go, the cheep stuff just wont keep up with the demands and being back packed up Mountain streams kill them fast, especially if you fall over.

I for one am going to look there.

Bob

FINALLY someone has given an aquarists opinion on this gear, I have contemplated buying one of these for about a year now but was not able to get info from Hanna or anyone else as to its performance in our hobby. My biggest concern is if I can run test for my marine tanks as well? Due you happen to have any info in those regards?

i also have considered the eXact micro 7 but have had the same issues finding info as to its performance with salt water.

Any opinions?

Emanuel

FINALLY someone has given an aquarists opinion on this gear' date=' I have contemplated buying one of these for about a year now but was not able to get info from Hanna or anyone else as to its performance in our hobby. My biggest concern is if I can run test for my marine tanks as well? Due you happen to have any info in those regards?

i also have considered the eXact micro 7 but have had the same issues finding info as to its performance with salt water.

Any opinions?

Emanuel[/quote']

Emmanuel, I haven't looked to see if all tests are able to be done on seawater however the instructions for some of the tests I've done there are different quantities of reagents to use for seawater. For example, the test for Ammonia states to use 4 drops of Reagent A and then 4 drops of Reagent B but in brackets next to that they say 6 drops of A and 10 drops of B for seawater tests. However for the Nitrate test, for example, where you use pre-measured sachets of powdered reagents, there's no mention of different amounts for seawater. I guess you can assume that means it's the same amount of reagent for fresh and seawater but maybe you can ask the Hanna Instruments customer service people. Here's a link to the manual for the HI83203 - (Mods, sorry in advance if I'm not allowed to post external links in these forums am only doing so to help out Emmanuel.) http://www.hannainst.com.au/manuals/man83203_23_04_10.pdf

Mate, at the end of the day, it is a big outlay, so I think you should be able to expect Hanna will give you assistance to get you the information you need.

Thanks for that' date=' as I am in the field a lot and taking test where ever I go, the cheep stuff just wont keep up with the demands and being back packed up Mountain streams kill them fast, especially if you fall over.

I for one am going to look there.

Bob[/quote']

Hi bob,

Sorry, have been thinking on your comments and have thought of a couple points that maybe pertinent to you:

1) this unit does have an inbuilt battery, so maybe good for you when not close to a power source. Not sure of the battery life though.

2) in terms of being sturdy for rough country, am not too sure. It's only made of plastic - at least on the outside. One other thing that may affect usefulness for you if you're testing outside is that you need to be careful of dust etc getting into the sensor area. They provide a lint free cloth with the kit to wipe down the curvettes as any dust or fingerprints on the outside of the curvette (or even just bubbles in the test sample) can affect the reading as it's analysed by light.

Hope this helps.

I have used Hanna instrument in my marine set up and they do have a reputation of being one of the best water tester in the marine hobby.there instrument is abit pricy but there readings are accurate ( digital numbers) which is much better then those terrible colour charts. I used Kh,Ca, phosphate tester for my marine with digital result.