Can anyone ID these shrimp?

Squiggle

Hey everyone, someone I know has asked for the ID of these shrimp, they are approx 20mm in size. The first pic is without a flash & the second is with a flash. When I saw them I thought of asking the collective knowledge on here. :encouragement:

WEB5D3_2013-9085.jpgWEB5D3_2013-9102.jpg

Good pictures, the best I could suggest is Caridina indistincta (at a rather long shot) but more likely Paratya australiensis. Actually the eggs have got me a bit stumped for P. australiensis the eggs should be smaller so I am thinking maybe a Caridina species after all.

Do you know where the friend got the shrimp from? If locally caught in their area it will help with pinning down its id. If they came from unknown sources then its going to be more difficult.

Yeah I'm trying to find out where they got them from, just waiting on a reply :encouragement:

image-74_zpsb1a8c839.jpg

They look like two different shrimp. The top one looks like Indistinct and the bottom one has no rostrum? and the egg size it looks like it is from the Atherton table lands?

Where they come from will help, As always the point I try to get across to every one with native ID is, the first and major point is identification is the nose then feet and swimmers, colour has nothing to do with it except for Serratirostris, nothing has the patterns they do and there nose is distinct.

Bob

I noticed the female was missing her rostrum, but thought maybe it had been damaged during net capture?

I think they both maybe the same species (mainly if the rostrum on the female has been damaged and not naturally absent), the more male looking one could just be younger. I know my native mystery shrimp have changed quite a lot since I originally got them.

Is there any chance the friend can get photos again of both shrimp both with and without a flash?

Good point Bacc, I down loaded the photos to my computer (dammed if I know how I did it but I did yea) and the Female looks like it is broken off but the serrations on the Rostrum behind the eye are the same.

With that egg size my call would be C. short ck or C. confusa?

Bob