Neocardinia Heteropoda Genetics

Dan_97

Hi everyone, I would like to learn more about Neocardinia Heteropoda genetics and I`m sure there are many knowledgeable people here (Dean :D)!! I have drawn up two punnet squares and was wanting to know if they are correct.

The "R" represents the red gene while (Which I assume is dominate) "r" represents the yellow gene (Which I again assume is recessive?).

mv3fpk.png

Genotype "RR" (Phenotype "red") crossed with "rr" (Phenotype yellow)

r90ck8.png

Genotype "Rr" (Phenotype "red" with yellow gene) crossed with "Rr" (Phenotype "red" with yellow gene).

Are they correct and has anyone got any ideas on how we could get some more strains with co-dominance ect or can you only get new stains with getting lucky and getting shrimp with a slight, say, orange colour and breeding from there??

This thread is just to work out some genetics of the cherry shrimp and for people to share their knowledge.

I am pretty sure the colour is not caused by a single pair of alleles but rather a large combination of genes that work together to express the colour. I believe the strains were bred from wild type shrimp that exhibited small amounts of red and then the redest individuals were bred.

Ahh okay, thanks Matt. Hmmm.. If anyone else has got any ideas or anyone want to simple add anything feel free!!