Shrimp genetics

brenkirk

Hi,

I'm currently setting up some shrimp breeding tanks and have have a little time to fill in waiting fo the tanks to settle in. To fill this time, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about genetics. Does anyone know of any links to sites containing information about shrimp genetics and selective breeding?

Thanks,

Bren

if there was like here imke' date=' i'd like your post :)[/quote']

There is gbang, the little star icon lets you add reputation, with links like that it's well deserved!

Happy you like it! I want to add another thing, as it happened to Monika who is running one of the best Tiger shrimp crossing projects in Germany (she calls it CRAZY TIGERS). She has lost a lot of shrimp from her population, as she selected them too early and the F-x suffered from minor, weak gens then. The shrimp for sure looked beautiful, but were not strong.

Here is her blog (maybe worth adding to the sub-forum?): http://www.doxon.de/blog/

I know from Taiwanese breeders that some do pond breeding with neocaridina, and select the best from a group of thousands. So, letting nature show all diversity first helps us to get good specimen. This also has been reported from Turkey, where a professional breeder raises Blue Tiger in big outdoor tanks. Shrimp are growing faster and bigger. However, one should not forget about the danger of neozon / invasive species, but that is another point.

• Like 1