Crystal clear cherry shrimp

Heavyd

A while ago I gave up on my selective breeding project with the yellow rilis. At that time I was working on achieving either a yellow rili or a completely clear cherry shrimp (like a snowball).

Months later, look what shows up in my cull tank:

20130307_201008_zpsdedf019e.jpg20130307_201034_zps4bb1db53.jpg

I've put him in another tank with different water parameters to see if he colours up at all.

I have very similar cherry shrimp, and after being in a much darker tank, with quite a lot of tannins they are still nearly completely clear with white saddles

DSCF3619_zps51468c86.jpg

Does your one come from a red cherry? I can see a faint red tinge on it, or is it just the photo?

Thanks mate, but I don't know if I have room for another project. I need another 30cm cube methinks.

They did come from red cherry's the same red cherrys that spontaniously produced almost perfect red rili's. The redish tinge could be from the tannins in the tank, the water is the colour of lemon ice tea. Also its a really old tank and the glass itself has a kind of purple/ lavander tinge to it.

Prior to them going into the tanin rich tank

DSCF3443_zps31ec8816.jpg

Stop tempting me mate!

@Baccus4702: They look great. Are you going to be selectively breeding them? BTW my clear cherry came from a yellow cherry.

Thanks, sort of they are all in one tank with only one male yellow cherry that needed some company but no other tanks to put him in. If I ever get my new stand made that will hold all of my tanks plus two extra 20L tanks then I might be in luck for really selectively breeding them. In the meantime they can just do their thing in their current tank.

I think I may have seen a clearish red cherry in my tank a while back. I have ghost shrimp in with my red cherries now so it will be hard to find.

Would the attraction of breeding this line out be to use them try and get rilli's or would to try and keep a clear line going?

• HOF Member

If they are showing white could you not get white cherries rather than clear

Here is a (bad) photo of two of mine. These are in with my Red Rillis and are shrimpletes that hitch hiked the 3 hour drive in the substrate and a few litres of water when I bought my second hand divided tank. One looks really clear, while the other has a striped tinge. There are a couple more in there so I must get around to catching them so I can separate them from the rillis

P3080328_zpsc044ea6f.jpg