New Membership approvals

Dean

Some good ideas in this thread, just thought I would mention that I joined a French shrimp forum a while back looking for euro threads on deans shrimp room, www.Taiwan-bee.net they had a process of join, have to be granted access by mod then after 24 hrs you could access the intro forum only. This intro thread was also limited to only 24 hrs of open time so people don't grave dig old posts etc. The. After you have posted that and posted on a few other limited access threads you were given slightly more access to other parts. At the start you are limited in what you can see also but later you can see most forum sections even if you are not able to post or read threads, it makes you want to have more of a share to get there.

I unfortunately don't have time to read the thread, so this might have been mentioned.

How about new members can only see an introduction forum, where they MUST introduce themselves, so we can clarify they're genuine. Once varyfied, they get access to other parts of the forum.

Bit what I'd really like to see are more forums hidden and only viewable/accessible to paid members, Classifieds for one, and this forums suggestions another...

Sounds like its going to get harder to gain acces to this forum for the likes of me I've gotten back into the aquarium science only very recently after a 10 yaer break.
Yowie05' date=' I don’t think this is a permanent thing. It’s just to vet members while the forum evolves into something that’s ready for the public. By vetting members during this initial forum formation stage, you have a better chance of getting those with the passion and/or knowledge that can help establish a supportive community that will help with the influx of new members once access is opened up.
The only other forums I've seen where you need referrals is the ones where you can download illegal stuff, is that where we are headed?
No, there are plenty of legitimate sites that have a probationary process as well. I recently signed up to a photography site where I am restricted to what I can and can’t do until 30 days have passed AND I have a 50 post count. I also belong to a couple of technology forums where I had to wait until an administrator validated my account before I could even see the threads. It’s about user management otherwise you end up with a pile of phantom users that do nothing but SPAM or users with affiliation to other competing forums that have nothing better to do than to troll. So, just to summarise, assuming I haven’t missed anything in this thread – initial entry will be vetted, once all the forum changes are embedded and the community established (like any team cyle – forming, storming, norming, performing) access will be opened up. I’m sure new comers would prefer coming into a stable forum drumming to a cool beat rather than complete chaos where people are still trying to work out what to do. 8)

I think 12 months from now, this forum will be easily accessed. I agree with Nogi that it's important to establish a core group of members who will in turn manage the forum into the future. Build up a strong foundation before expanding too fast :D

It's a great idea to keep the dregs out, but clearly the process to do such a thing is not easily balanced. Alienation is a sure path to failure.

I don't agree with a post count or anything along those lines that can be easily thwarted.

Surely if you're trying to join this forum then you're not a newbie to forums. Therefore you've got an account somewhere....

If not, then the process that seems to be already underway in the shape of a simple phone call can surely wead out the last of the (Mr X's).

Then their first post should be an introductory, including a brief history of their experience or lack there of. Which could be helped by a pre-determined point format questionnaire.

Some may slip through, but to what end... If they're up to no good and simply want to stir things up, then they won't last long. If they're here to steal info, then consider it as a compliment. Which is all it is, in the end.

If all else fails, have a single catergory where only us bum chums can view and comment on possible 'problems' and let the rest be as it is.

P.S

@ Dean, how'd you like my other forum names on my application. Mwahahahaha.

JustJamie, aka ..........

If all else fails' date=' have a single catergory where only us bum chums can view and comment on possible 'problems' and let the rest be as it is.

[/quote']

Please let me in that group:barbershop_quartet_

I don't agree with a post count or anything along those lines that can be easily thwarted.

Post padding usually gets you put in the naughty corner on first offence, naughtier corner second offence and banned on 3rd on the forums that set minimum counts.

@yowie05, it wont get harder to join, you getting to join is a perfect example of a good member that has nothing to hide, you use the same name and dont make problems for anyone. this is all im trying to get happening :) there is absolutely no plan to hide this forum forever or in any way do illegal things. im just trying to get some input as to how to better manage the problem of rouge members trashing this site before it has had a good chance to shine. thank you for your input. some good points there.

Sounds like its going to get harder to gain acces to this forum for the likes of me I've gotten back into the aquarium science only very recently after a 10 yaer break. I used to get on the forums back then but after such a long break you forget names and such. With this talk I'm surprised that I was given acces in the first place. Only thing saved me is I prolly use the same name for everything. Ppl that use diff names for diff forums I don't get that as you don't know who the new name is. There is some good ideas here but do we really need to hide the forums contents that badly? The only other forums I've seen where you need referrals is the ones where you can download illegal stuff, is that where we are headed? Yes membership needs to be regulated but that can be done on an ongoing basis by the members. Just my 2cthanks

i agree with you on that mate, and i dont want to create an elitist environment, i want somewhere for everyone from beginner to pro to share and help out each other.i also agree people really dont need multiple accounts if they are legit and not trying to create problems.

This has really all been said but my thoughts .....It is a fine line between coming across as elitist and creating an environment where people feel happy and confident to share ideas, setups and stock ... this is what we are aiming for! Yowie brings up some good points but I think that at this stage an invite or reference system seems the way to go .... wheather people need these references before being allowed in or if they can join with some limited access and then be vouched for by existing members ...... I think the actual mechanism needs to be decided by those who will actually do the screening / inviting!Is there any reason why anyone need multiple accounts/Login ID's?????Cheers Greg

some good points also, im taking a few good point from all of this and will post up a version of ways to handle this for you all to see and vote on :)

yes that site is super tight :) maybe a little to much for us in oz :) but it is a great site.

Some good ideas in this thread, just thought I would mention that I joined a French shrimp forum a while back looking for euro threads on deans shrimp room, www.Taiwan-bee.net they had a process of join, have to be granted access by mod then after 24 hrs you could access the intro forum only. This intro thread was also limited to only 24 hrs of open time so people don't grave dig old posts etc. The. After you have posted that and posted on a few other limited access threads you were given slightly more access to other parts. At the start you are limited in what you can see also but later you can see most forum sections even if you are not able to post or read threads, it makes you want to have more of a share to get there.

your onto it mate, "So, just to summarise, assuming I haven’t missed anything in this thread – initial entry will be vetted, once all the forum changes are embedded and the community established (like any team cyle – forming, storming, norming, performing) access will be opened up."

Yowie05, I don’t think this is a permanent thing. It’s just to vet members while the forum evolves into something that’s ready for the public. By vetting members during this initial forum formation stage, you have a better chance of getting those with the passion and/or knowledge that can help establish a supportive community that will help with the influx of new members once access is opened up. No, there are plenty of legitimate sites that have a probationary process as well. I recently signed up to a photography site where I am restricted to what I can and can’t do until 30 days have passed AND I have a 50 post count. I also belong to a couple of technology forums where I had to wait until an administrator validated my account before I could even see the threads. It’s about user management otherwise you end up with a pile of phantom users that do nothing but SPAM or users with affiliation to other competing forums that have nothing better to do than to troll. So, just to summarise, assuming I haven’t missed anything in this thread – initial entry will be vetted, once all the forum changes are embedded and the community established (like any team cyle – forming, storming, norming, performing) access will be opened up. I’m sure new comers would prefer coming into a stable forum drumming to a cool beat rather than complete chaos where people are still trying to work out what to do. 8)

some good points mate, but the statement "Alienation is a sure path to failure" can go both ways i think :) i know some very exclusive night clubs that dont let you in unless your a member and the only way to get membership is if its passed down from another or given by the owner. yet the club is thriving. but for us a humble shrimp forum you are more than right...questionnaire?? would you like to do a draft for us mate? "If they're here to steal info, then consider it as a compliment. Which is all it is, in the end." i agree with this 100% mate but in the initial stages of this forum starting up i want to keep it from being copied until we are ready to open our doors.i had a very long hard laugh when i seen your other usernames :) you got alsmost all of them except 2 other new ones :)

It's a great idea to keep the dregs out, but clearly the process to do such a thing is not easily balanced. Alienation is a sure path to failure. I don't agree with a post count or anything along those lines that can be easily thwarted. Surely if you're trying to join this forum then you're not a newbie to forums. Therefore you've got an account somewhere....If not, then the process that seems to be already underway in the shape of a simple phone call can surely wead out the last of the (Mr X's). Then their first post should be an introductory, including a brief history of their experience or lack there of. Which could be helped by a pre-determined point format questionnaire. Some may slip through, but to what end... If they're up to no good and simply want to stir things up, then they won't last long. If they're here to steal info, then consider it as a compliment. Which is all it is, in the end.If all else fails, have a single catergory where only us bum chums can view and comment on possible 'problems' and let the rest be as it is.P.S@ Dean, how'd you like my other forum names on my application. Mwahahahaha.JustJamie, aka ..........

thanks for all the input everyone, i will put together a draft idea over the next few days and post it up fro you all to see and give your thoughts on.

:) i know some very exclusive night clubs that dont let you in unless your a member and the only way to get membership is if its passed down from another or given by the owner. yet the club is thriving.

Mate, 'The Blue Oyster' is not a club I frequent, so I'll have to take your word for it.

lol shhh mate, dont tell everyone :)

ok so im putting together a draft and just getting a few more ideas from a few people then we can implement something.

i will write up a thread outlining everything once its finalized.

A big thanks to you all for your great ideas and contributions to helping address this task.

its great to have a great community building behind this forum :)