Native Shrimp and Moss ID

northboy

Hi Guys,

I am starting this thread to clear up a couple of things people fall into all the time and with out knowing the how and where for it is an easy trap to fall into.

As not many native Mosses are in the Aquarium trade it is even harder, the only sure way to ID Mosses, Pellias and the like is under a Microscope and done be an expert, a photo of a rough ball of Moss is impossible, mainly because of the variability of the growth of Mosses under different light and fertiliser conditions. I am going to ask Australia's Moss expert to join us here and if she can Id mosses for us, the problem will be working out how to do it?? most likely a sample sent to Her. A note for Queenslanders it is totally illegal to collect Mosses in Queensland, this is a major stumbling block for my moss collecting, you have to have a name to apply to collect it and you have to collect it to get a name. DAM HARD.

Shrimp ID, once again a photo is not a good way to do it, because, Shrimp are ID by there Rostrum= nose first, then feet and Swimmers and other features. So a photo that dose not show the Rostrum is not realy any use for a positive ID, colour for the most part has nothing to do with there ID and in most species can be extremely variable with in populations and regions or drainages.

Once again I was going to ask Australia's only person doing Shrimp taxo work to join us and Tim Page who dose DNA work on shrimp as well.

Scientists for the most part have a dim view of Aquarium hobbyists and blame up for the ferals out there, we all know this is not the case. These people are different as there is no exotic Shrimp (yet) and Mosses (yet)

We have to remember if they join us we must show them respect, if they ID something there word should be taken as final and we should not say uncle Johnny on the Internet said different, most times Uncle Johnny will be wrong.

What is every ones thoughts, will I ask them?? I think they will be a MASSIVE asset to us, not on the OS stuff but on Natives for sure.

Bob

Nice one Bob, I think that's a great idea, would be really cool to get some experts Giving us a definite ID on native stuff :encouragement:

image-74_zpsb0ae7454.jpg

Great stuff Bob. Would be a massive asset if both come on board. Hope you can convince them to join.

Absolutely. This forum has shown great respect and tone, and the interest of native shrimps..etc. is purely from a hobby and conservation perspective, so they're input would be amazing, and we all get free education ! Yahoo.

Are there any suggestions to create more sections or a format that would encourage their input ? And/or use of this forum as a library ?

I have to see what the 3 of them think, one is away and the other two I have not talked to for a while, but I think they will be fine with the idea and it could be a 2 way street as they know SFA about the OS stuff.

How ever they all take a dim view of the illegal importation of stuff especially Moss and the Moss guru Doc Andi.

I just thought of a way to ID them to, if they register as

Doc Andi

Doc Satish

Doc Tim

And for crabs if they take off Doc Peter

Bob

Would be a great idea Bob, im sure we'd all get so much from having them on board and i hope they'd get a bit out of it too.

Absolutely that would be awesome!!!! They are the experts who do this as a job so their word is....FINAL! bam lol Although I am a little afraid of them frowning upon us with the non native species we all are passionate about. But I guess each to their own opinion yeah?

This is a step in the right direction.Great for the hobby good work Bob .Get them on board any disrespect would be unlikely but if it happend would be delt with quickly and by the masses.This is what this hobby needs to expand in the native area.

Some of the actually like the OS shrimp but don't want to know how they got here, one of the Scientists no make that 2 that I work with or have worked with keep Cherries.

I asked 2 today and 1 of them is still away and waiting on an answer form the other.

Bob