Cherry Shrimp - Best Water Temp for Breeding?

JohnH

I'm interested to see what temp breeders keep their cherry shrimp in. I've read some like around 22 deg and then others prefer 27 deg.

Do the warmer temps promote more breeding?

Yes but warmer temp also equals a shorter line span. I don't regulate the temperature except make sure it isn't more than 28 degrees and let the seasons take their course :)

For me, the ones that are in with my Crystals are at 23-24. The ones on their own or in the fish tank are at whatever the room temp is, so probably 26-27.

• HOF Member

My Cherries that are breeding well sit between 20 and 27 -I have a couple of tanks that fluctuate with room temp because they are small. But mostly sit around 24 and that tank has berried females all the time with plenty of shrimplets coming on.

Heating the house during the day at Winter time is unaffordable so the heater only goes on at night. My shrimp room temp can get down to 10 deg during the day at winter, maybe even colder on some days.

So I need to decide on heater settings as I don't want my cherries to shut down breeding during winter, but on the other hand, I don't want to maintain a higher tank temp if it's not needed.

At the moment I run my tanks with a minimum of 24deg. Perhaps I can drop that back to 22deg and still see shrimps doing the sexy dance.