Copper Sulfate in shrimp food

CNgo2006

It is a common fact that copper will kill your shrimp...In saying that I have noticed taht a lot of shrimp food contains copper sulfate. So my question is....is it OK to feed shrimp food with copper sulfate in them? Hikari shrimp cuisine is one of many that contains copper sulfate.

In micro amounts it's fine

providing it is less the 0.02%

Thanks for the quick reply buddy but how will you know exactly how much copper sulfate is in it or how much the shrimp is ingesting? Hmm have a mate who has been feeding his shrimp Hikari carnivore pellets for a few months now which has copper sulfate also, his shrimp seem to love it and have had no ill effects as yet.

It will say the amount of copper of the pack somewhere

We have been feeding our Crs hikari algae wafers for years with no ill effect

Thanks did some research and found that hikari carnivore pellets have 16mg/1kg copper sulfate which equals 0.000016% which is next to nothing. So I may try some myself, just a bit every now and then so they get some extra protein (47%).

I heard from the LFS that copper is important for the blood & circulatory system. The amount of copper in shrimp or fish food are so minute that it would be nearly impossible for them to be copper poisoned (have to eat an extraordinary quanity).