Newbie to the forum

Timmeh

Hey all. Just saying a quick hello.

New to the forum but not new to the aquarium or aquascaping world.

Just got back into wanting a new tank and decided to go along the road of shrimp so recently just built a 5x2' tank.

Used to breed various fish but ended up being very time consuming, looking forward to reading up and having a look at what everyone has to offer.

Currently in the middle of building the cabinet for the setup and rounding up supplies.

Regards Tim

G'Day Timmeh. Welcome to SKF....would be great if you could show us pic of you build. We loooooove pics here.

Thanks for the warm welcome, will post pictures over the week hopefully, ill throw some up of atlesst the tank as some of you will love it haha!!

• HOF Member

Welcome to SKF Timmeh it's a great forum with lots of information ENJOY!

Hey Tim, welcome!

Looking forward to seeing some photos. Wish I was competent enough to build my own tank and stand ;)

Welcome to the forum dude, hope you have as much fun as we :encouragement:

image-74_zps23e00801.jpg

Welcome to the forum Timmeh. Your name reminds me of South Park for some reason.

Would love to see your tank build.

Welcome to SKF ENJOY!

Hey Guys,

Tims a mate of mine and heres some photos of the 5ft divided tank that we are setting up.

post-35-139909848706_thumb.jpg

post-35-139909848708_thumb.jpg

Bigger photos, attachments dont seem to work.

20130202165651.jpg20130202165641.jpg

Tim was just over before and picked up a brand new 2213 that i got him. He should be getting a second hand one soonish. Plan is to run an extra sponge filter in each of the sections. Tims house is always climate controlled and tim himself works in the airconditioning industry so cool water wont be an issue. Ada substrate. tigers and tbs are the plan with different coloured cherries. still trying to work out a way to cover the holes in the dividers neatly.

We've spent 3 weekends thinking about making a cabinet but end up being distracted. Get hungry and go to cabramatta and eat hahah

• 3 months later...

Okay, so a massive update for those who were interested. Cab has been built and painted. Tank has been painted on the sides and rear. Everything has been moved into my room. Hanging light tomorrow and Robert is coming over to give me a hand with minerals, soil and powder during this week and filling up the tank. Used SS mesh to cover up holes to allow water to flow between all tanks. Will be running one 2213 and 5 sponge filters to start with and see how everything goes during the cycling and then start to more some shrimp in. Also made plans to put a 2 or 3Ft tank underneath to also breed shrimp/grow plants. Will be uploading some photos tomorrow of the progress. Has taken a while now from building it as I did it step by step, was in no real rush but not I want to get it all done asap haha!! STAY TUNED!

Looking good. It's pretty much what im getting built except mine has a built in sump along the back wall. What are you planning on stocking it with.

Cheers mick

I was planning to go sump but to much of a hassle with such small babies, had difficulty breeding some species of fish with running sump setups with their small fry. Looking at tbs and tigers atm as I have already got some in robs tanks growing out. But we shall see where I take things once its all setup and going.

Some teasers Tim sent me today. Should have full build photos and SLR shots soon.

post-35-139909850825_thumb.jpg

post-35-139909850827_thumb.jpg

post-35-13990985083_thumb.jpg

Thats a good stocklist to start with. I was worried about the same thing with small babies but im setting it up in a mattenfilter style so hopefully that will stop them getting through. I cant wait until I finish the build.

Cheers mick

Ive already made it FIRM not to go beyond basic on the top tank. I dont think he should go beyond a thick layer of substrate, one piece of mopani driftwood, some mineral balls and 2-3 strands of hornwort. Mostly for observation but also to keep hands out of the tank. Thats why i suggested get a divided tank on the bottom to grow plants and breed cherries. No need for fancy substrate just 2toned substrate will do.