Black cherries and Colour bases

Gbang

Having a break at work atm :)

Over the past 6 months, I have had a ball breeding the black knights and had observed many interesting quality potentials about them.

Black cherries seem to be developed and line bred via intensifying the original Colour of the shrimp. To date I have observed black cherries from a blue base and a chocolate base!!! At certain times. I have observed blue bases to even turn to brown at 20mm and blacks to have both base colours blue and brown.

On a personal opinion (and please do put your input!) I have observed all pure black shrimps in the world such as the black diamond tiger and King Kong to all come from blue bases as their babies are initially blue untill the 10-15mm mark. Therefore, I have have been selectively breeding Blue based cherries for a few generations as I believe this will create the blackest of all blacks in the future, and if they are culls..... Well we all know we wanna keep blues!!!!

So as a future reference for all you guys who would like to line breed their black cherries. Here's a reference to identifying base colours.

Observe that I have used a bare bottom tank to make it easier to have a look.

Three cherries

Left: brown base

Middle: blue base

Right: brown and blue base mixture

E96B278C-0745-4425-9FAC-FF429A3BC558-1461-00000143374EF4E4_zpsf515f1e6.jpg85964E6D-68BB-4285-ADC6-CFC0AAAC29A9-1461-000001433BD3DF85_zpsc128b212.jpg

Happy line breeding gentleman :)

Thanks for the write up and information.....great read, and nice to see patience and a plan pay off.

• HOF Member

Well done and great information. Now as a complete novice i would like to know where and how do the colour variants come about. Should I open a different thread for that information

Very interesting thread, great info for anyone thinking of playing around with black cherry variations, well done mate :encouragement:

image-74_zps476606c8.jpg

Squig that is a hilarious sloth! And ineke yes we should definately start another thread as I would like more discussion on the colours and how people think they were line bred or originated. I don't think it is all one formula!!!

I'm inclined to agree with you there Gbang, I'm intrigued to find out why black cherries will give chocolate & blue genes, with my experience of line breeding bettas(which is a great way to cut your teeth in genetics) it either one way or the other, unless there's some other genes have been brought in somewhere along the line to strengthen a particular trait. So I'd be interested to know if they were chocolates with the blue added to strengthen the black or vice versa? Hmmmm?

image-74_zpse95dd4c7.jpg

Not suuuuure :s have you ever noticed that blue seems to be an inner base quality of all shrimp colours? When you stress a red, rilli, blacks chocolates tigers kin kongs. Maybe chocolates are a completely different with that was mixed in by accident. Not sure. But I do know almost every shrimp has the potential to have a blue. It's just that the blacks have the deepest blue :s don't know if I'm talking crap. I've just done 35 hours in two days at work

They are some very valid points, you are right that the black looks to have the deepest blue. I think you're on the right track to get painted blues shrimp starting with blacks. Definitely food for thought dude :encouragement:

image-74_zps239e9fd0.jpg

Painted blues would make me a drooling uncontrollable mess. Put my name in to help breed these if you run outta tank space gbang.

Cheers mick

Actually.... I don't think a painted fire blue can be achieved through the blacks. Painted fire needs to have a painted solid liquid paper look. Unfortunately the blues have too much of a translucent look to it and with it being too dark, a slightly lower intensity of the blue needs to be achieved for a nice painted fire blue which is a problem considering if you intensify the Colour, it becomes black....while if u lower it... It gets too translucent Complicated huh? This is why there are still no painted fire yellows in the world due to the translucent qualities. To date I think not reds and sunkist has the potential to be painted fire. For a while, I contemplated breeding red rilli to a full red as another solution to getting painted fire reds. After all, how solid are the reds in rilli shrimp!!!! Which means in my mind...... We could possibly only achieve a painted fire blue from the carbon rilli shrimp. Anyone got them? Apologies for the long write. Omg I'm going crazy

I was just thinking the same thing, breed the blue out of blacks to get the strongest blue base, even though it would be translucent, then cross with a carbon rilli to make the blue more solid. In theory it seems possible but only practice will tell, I've seen strange things happen when crossing colours in Bettas, so I guess anything is possible :confused:

image-74_zps5487494e.jpg