Additional filtration - What should I add to it?

Heavyd

I'm thinking of getting an additional Eheim 2217 Canister filter for my 200 litre tank. I already have an Eheim 2217 running with filter wool, ceramic noodles and the little sintered glass balls (the stuff that comes with the filter) and also have about 600mL of Purigen in there. In the tank I also have 2 x twin sponge filters (air-driven).

I'm looking for suggestions of filter media to fill the second filter with. I was thinking of adding 2 litres of Marine-Pure balls. This leaves me with 5 litres of media space left. I'd like to heatr what the pro's have to say. I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers,

D

Thanks mate. I do use it quite a bit. It may even be in the existing filter. I forgot which filter has the original eheim materials and which has the matrix.

I'm just wondering if I should go with more of the same, or mix it up a bit with different products. There are so many to choose from.

Essentially it doesn't matter. All commercial bio-media provide lots of surface area, all may clog up over time, and eventually performs around the same level. Are you really going to replace filter media as reccomended by their manufacturers? no. why? because they only say that to get you to buy more media. Unless your tank is massively overstocked with fish that produce oodles of ammonia, almost any media has more than enough surface area to allow adequate filtration, including gravel and sand (I know, I've seen them used as media in aquaculture set-ups).

I'm assuming this is for a shrimp tank?

Since its only additional filtration on your tank, and assuming the filtration you have now is adequate, you could fill your canister with gravel and get a similar result as you already have masses of surface area for colonisation of bacteria to handle shrimp bio-load (canister filter, sponge filters).

Very good points thanks. I think it would be more beneficial to get a denitrator than another filter. At least then it would serve a different function to that of the canister filter.

I a agree with fishmosy....it's all about surface area, I have 2 x 2217 for my 300 lt rack, and used the original Eheim filter medium.....no doubt they're other medium with better % of surface are but 2 x 2217 for a 200 lt is plenty. Once the filter is matured, its all about maintenance !

It's only because it's on special dammit! And I was thinking of when I move later, I would have an extra canister filter in the mix.

Yeah, great special....I would just get it...can't have too much filtration, plus great as a spare, PLUS a great step towards another tank !

Oh' date=' but I'm going to get into trouble and somebody gonna get a hurt.[/quote']

Mate, it's worth the temporary hurt & pain...LOL

It's like how far does the rubber band stretch before it snaps? Because I have been stretching sooooo much lately ;)

I know what you mean dude, I'm always in the crap, it's just the depth that varies, lol. If you are going to get another filter then I'd suggest a layer of course sponge at the bottom, matrix all the way to the top & a layer of filter wool at the top, just one massive bio filter. I know if on special & I'm the biggest Eheim snob there is but if you just want to add something to the setup then a nitrate filter would be a better investment for the shrimp tank or even a chiller. :encouragement:

image-74_zpsfbee2f03.jpg

I hear you Mr Squiggle. Well after much debate with myself, the aquarium won as per usual and I ordered the filter. Now how do I sneak a large canister filter into the house when it arrives......

I sold $70 worth of excess stuff, treated myself to 5 pencil fish for a bargin $15 and I still get the look and the 'no more!'

They just dont get it!

No fish, no shrimp then what? Id be getting up to no good and be spending my money on crack and gamblin. Lol

Just buy it and set it up when she's not at home. If and when she notices, say that it was always there in the first place and how annoyed you are that you make so micj of an effort to enjoy what she enjoys, YET!...she never notices your hobby. That's how I play the game :p

@Jonx: I tried that rational. She called my bluff lol

@Gbang: That would work if my tanks and sh!t didn't already take up so much room. Filter has been purchased. Final location for said filter

Hmmmmm...... If you don't buy more filters the shrimp will die and that's cruelty to animals?

Yes I like it!!

But then she will turn it against me when I next buy more shrimp. I can already hear it "You have enough shrimp, it's cruel to put more in there". There is no winning.

I snuck in 100 foam boxes yesterday in put it in her spare bedroom. They stack up 2 meters long x 2 meters wide and 40cm deep. Can't wait to see what she says because she's also the one who posts and receives the shrimp.

Back to the topic-

My canisters have seachem matrix in them and also sponge filters for mechanical filtration.

I have a Eheim pro ii 2028 rated for a 650 liter tank which is filtering my 2ft divided (76 liter).

Also a Eheim 2215 on my 22 liter cube stacked with matrix and sponge for mechanical.

Matrix is good.

Eheim is good.

Overkill is necessary!