Ph of RO water

al4n

Hello all,

Just a question about the pH of RO water? What should it be when it comes out?

Reason i ask is when i did a ph test the results were 7.6ish that was with salty shrimp added, but that shouldn't affect ph right?

Thanks in advance for your input

Alan

It is very difficult to accurately measure the pH of high-purity water. The low concentration of dissolved solids means the pH can swing wildly when anything is added to it: there's no buffering capacity. Just by breathing on RO water will change the PH....THEORICALLY.

High purity water *should* have a pH of 7.0 fresh out of the machine (be it an RO unit or distillation unit), but the presence of atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide (which forms carbonic acid in solution) will quickly cause the pH to drop to ~5.6 upon exposure to air. With a fresh, clean RO membrane, there may be insufficient buffering capacity and the pH will drop to this point after a couple of hours or so. As the membrane ages, the pH may not move quite so quickly as there will be a higher level of dissolved salts.

That's what I was going to say BB, but not so scientifically, lol. Also the salty shrimp minerals should buff the water to the correct ph, Bee Shrimp - about 6.5 & Sulawesi Mineral - about 7.5 IME :encouragement:

image-74_zps4a76d508.jpg

That's what I was going to say BB' date=' but not so scientifically, lol. Also the salty shrimp minerals should buff the water to the correct ph, Bee Shrimp - about 6.5 & Sulawesi Mineral - about 7.5 IME :encouragement:

[img']http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/a580/Betta_lover/image-74_zps4a76d508.jpg

MUAHAH i have finally found out where you source your pics!!:smiley_simmons:

Also quite a few of the budget priced RO units (mainly on ebay) contain alkaline filters which will increase the PH to anywhere from 7.5 to 8.5 or possibly even higher as they are made to produce drinking water and an alkaline based water is better for us to consume than acidic based water.

That was some info I read a while back when researching RO/DI units.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hi-hack but would a unit like this; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-S-35GPD-Aquarium-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filters-DI-Resin-Filter-Fish-Tanks-/120959533775?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item1c29c002cfGive a high ph ?

Also quite a few of the budget priced RO units (mainly on ebay) contain alkaline filters which will increase the PH to anywhere from 7.5 to 8.5 or possibly even higher as they are made to produce drinking water and an alkaline based water is better for us to consume than acidic based water.That was some info I read a while back when researching RO/DI units.

Probably not as it doesn't have an alkalizer stage, from what I've read, the ph will probably be on the low side as the RO strips everything out of the water so there's nothing in the water to keep the ph up, I believe that it's so unstable that CO2 can drop the ph, adding salty shrimp stabilizes the ph :encouragement:

image-74_zps7b82468e.jpg

Nope that one will give a PH very close to neutral 7.0 + salty shrimp mix = perfect wp for shrimp

Also quite a few of the budget priced RO units (mainly on ebay) contain alkaline filters which will increase the PH to anywhere from 7.5 to 8.5 or possibly even higher as they are made to produce drinking water and an alkaline based water is better for us to consume than acidic based water.

That was some info I read a while back when researching RO/DI units.

Just stay away from the OS sellers and stick with Australian and you"ll be right. If unsure ask the seller questions and pay via paypal as insurance. If they scam you, you have the messages you asked them as proof in a Paypal dispute but I have never had this problem with Aussie sellers.