Baby natives ;)

Dean

Yesterday i was playing around trying to get better at my macro shots and while trying to take pics of a snail

(they move slow, so easy to learn on) i noticed these tiny little dots on the glass :confused::confused:

i could not see them with my eyes standing in front of the tank. i had to have my face against the glass almost to see them.

These are the babies i found in my Darwin Red nose tank :)

i dont expect them to survive as i have had berried girls since owning them but this is the first time i ever seen the babies.

sorry for the quality but they are seriously small. 100mm marco full zoom against the glass...

post-1377-139909849424_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]2262[/ATTACH]

post-29-139909859286_thumb.jpg

post-29-13990985929_thumb.jpg

Great stuff Dean congrats mate. I was so thinking you were posting pics of riffles. Any luck with those guys yet?

Good one Dean, try a bit of Spirulina powder that will get some to survive, the biggest. If you keep breeding form the survivors, the size of the young will be bigger= easier to feed this will lead to easier to breed.

Green water also works, I use those two on my local ones.

Bob

OH and I can see a Neritina snail in the corner of some of the photos.

Bob

Good spotting Bob, first thought that was a golden apple snail. Mate of mine had an explosion of the buggers in his IBC setup so was offering them to me every other day. "Shivers".

Also there in picture proof is the reason most of our native shrimp will never be popular or easy to breed? the size of the young makes them hard to breed unlike Cherries add a male and female to water, feed them and they breed.

• 1 month later...

Breeding natives is a challenge I must consider taking on. I have some Paratya of which I am sure I noticed one saddled recently. Info on them is sketchy.

Does anyone know what size the larvae are when the eggs hatch? I have noticed while getting pics of the shrimp that there are lots of tiny white 'animals' flicking around the water and amongst the moss.

When I say tiny, they are less than half a millimeter.. If not shrimp larvae, then ideas as to what they may be?

The little white guys will most likely be Daphnia. Some people call them water fleas ;)

Ok thanks for the info Aquathumb. Is there anything I should worry about having these in the tank, or is it natural?

I use DAS fry as a first food for Betta Channoides, sadistic i know, but i've never had any grow to full size so i have the fry in with the DAS and they grow quite well.

• 2 weeks later...
Breeding natives is a challenge I must consider taking on. I have some Paratya of which I am sure I noticed one saddled recently. Info on them is sketchy.Does anyone know what size the larvae are when the eggs hatch? I have noticed while getting pics of the shrimp that there are lots of tiny white 'animals' flicking around the water and amongst the moss.When I say tiny' date=' they are less than half a millimeter.. If not shrimp larvae, then ideas as to what they may be?[/quote']Ok .. yesterday I was taking a video of the tank and noticed quite a few very small 'dots' flowing around through the water.... on closer inspection I found them to be baby shrimp. I have Berried Cherries in the tank and Paratya with a small number of CRS CBS .... I am thinking and hoping that they are Paratya ... Can anyone identify these for me please.post-12-139909861483_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909861485_thumb.jpgpost-12-139909861488_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849997_thumb.jpg

post-2255-1399098500_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909850004_thumb.jpg