What is a sump?

Masta

Hi all,

i've always heard of people using a tank as a sump, i'm not quite sure what they do, and their purpose. So if you guys can elaborate that would be nice!

Thankyou!

Its basically a tank used as a huge filter. I have a system of 5 tanks all flowing down to my sump to be filtered then pumped back up into the tanks.

Makes water changes a breeze too as I just siphon out my sump, fill it back up with the hose. Mix in my water dechlorinator then turn the pumps back on! takes 10 mins to water change five 130 Liter tanks!

A sump is an easy way to filter multiple tanks, you usually have an overflow which drains into the sump(usually below the tanks) & the water passes through the filtration, which you can customize to your needs, then a return pump will pump the water back into the tanks. A sump is easy to clean, easy to medicate & easy to add or remove filtration products :encouragement:

image-74_zps6b4ee41f.jpg

Some uses for a sump

1. Increase total volume of your tank

2. Filter material (via compartments) eg detoxifiers like carbon / SA filters like sponge and macropore / organic material reducers like purigen / pH modifiers like coral pieces / etc etc

3. To put away your ugly heaters and thermometers and whatnot

4. To hold a refugium / sanctuary to breed your juvenile fish / pods / water fleas / away from the predators in the main tank and provide a source of live food

5. An area to cultivate filter plants (freshwater) / macro (saltwater) as natural filters

6. An area for your Deep Sand Bed (a natural denitrifier) when you do not wish to have it in your display tank

There are many more advantages having a sump but these are the ones I can think of right now.

I hope this helps you

Its basically a tank used as a huge filter. I have a system of 5 tanks all flowing down to my sump to be filtered then pumped back up into the tanks.

Makes water changes a breeze too as I just siphon out my sump' date=' fill it back up with the hose. Mix in my water dechlorinator then turn the pumps back on! takes 10 mins to water change five 130 Liter tanks![/quote']

Aren't you worried that the chlorine in the tap water would kill your filter bacteria?

He probably adds a large dose of prime into his setup before diluting his system with tap water

Ive become lazy with my tanks over the years and that is what I do these days.

Doesnt seem to affect the fish at all but Im sure it is not the best way to do a topup