Anyone keeping Blue Marron

OzShrimp

Anyone keeping blue marron as pets/breeding?

I would love to get a pair and breed them but waiting till i own my own house then gonna set them up in a 6ft tank :)

If anyone keeping them i would love to see some pics, i think they have a stunning color

I kept some last year, but I sold them off as I went on a two month holiday. They do look stunning, but have some bad points.

• They destroy plants and any scaping in the tank
  • Will fight each other (not as bad as yabbies, but still a little agro)
  • Grow big and poop a lot
  • Are real messy eaters
  • Tend to be very shy and inactive during daylight/when lights are on

I reckon you will be able to get them to breed in a six foot tank, but the chances of the baby marron surviving in a small space (remember the adults grow big) will be slim.

I much prefer shrimp nowadays.

P5200057_zps829ef996.jpgP5160038_zps5ac9f878.jpgP5160042Medium_zpsee23251d.jpg

Wow you had some real beauties!

i wouldnt have them in a planted tank if i do go ahead with them i would probably just do a hardscape.

But yeah i read about the aggro and stuff and dont think my fiancee will let me turn the backyard into a big dam to throw them in lol

Cichlid style scapes are perfect for Yabbies.

I think blue maroons are one of the most beautiful things in the world!!!! I relieve a chiller is needed for them and they originate from wa? But that sounds contradictory.... Anyone got more info?

My local camping shop has a nice big tank (like 10f I think) right in the middle of the store. They have a couple of young Marron in there, amongst some native fishes like Barramundi, and they are actually really active and happy/healthy looking. There are a few rocks and big pieces of driftwood in there but no plants, and it really looks like what I imagine their natural environment to be :)

I'm not sure how long they take to grow, but I think a 6ft would probably be a bit small for a pair of fully grown Marron. Unless you planned on eating them when they start getting a bit big for the tank, it might be easier to go for something a bit smaller ;)

i dont eat seafood lol :P I was just going to have a pair and sell the babies to LFS (when i have one) lol