Blackmore River Shrimp- Caridina sp.NT2

Baccus

Just wanted to share a couple of pics of one of these lovely little ladies. They arrived yesterday and are already starting work out their blending colours for the tank.

DSCF3409_zps205f44f5.jpg?t=1361435555DSCF3420_zpsfa27ba04.jpg?t=1361435634

So far they have taken posseion of the log, but once the plants fill out in the tank I am sure they will be all over the place. I was lucky to in that one of the females dropped her shrimplets in transit and the tiny bubs are also finding their way about the tank.

Great. What are their preferred WP ? Are they considered easy to keep, and presume will breed in tank conditions ?

It's all a bit of a learning curve with them, but they should be easier to keep than Caridina Zebras since these guys are from the NT and not I guess highland cool water. The main thing said about them is that they need their water aged before being added to the tank, so the standard drop and top and add dechlorinator as you go is not advised.

They will breed in tank conditions, they have large eggs and newborn shrimplets are roughly newborn cherry shrimp sized. The ones I got where pond raised but are used to prepared foods and so far they have shown great liking for a native fish crumble that I have as well as a native shrimp pellet designed for crays and shrimp. They are also throughly enjoying picking all over the log in the tank and sifting through the sand. I was surprised that they are also relatively calm and not freaked out about hands in the tank or a face peering at them through the glass.

Just be thankful I didn't post the pic where she is looking directly at me, talk about impossible to see. It wsa really hard to find her in the view finder on the camera, she was doing such a good cammo job LOL.

Some more pictures of one of these pretty girls, if you look closesly she is berried.

DSCF3450_zps5d78799c.jpg?t=1361529419DSCF3452_zpsa9dfd292.jpg?t=1361529513DSCF3455_zpsff273559.jpg?t=1361529607

Last picture was with a flash to try and show the bars on her back

DSCF3461_zps703be88a.jpg?t=1361529708

I just received a handful of these guys as well. I also had a lot of shrimplets in the water they arrived in. I'll try and get some photos up when I finally see them.

the bit on the web site about aged water is me having a go at the practise of putting chlorinated tap water into the aquarium then adding the dechlorinator after. some people do that which is not good for the shrimps. They come from an area near the estuary but will breed ok in fresh. I know this because I caught their grandparents.

cheers

dave

the bit on the web site about aged water is me having a go at the practise of putting chlorinated tap water into the aquarium then adding the dechlorinator after. some people do that which is not good for the shrimps. They come from an area near the estuary but will breed ok in fresh. I know this because I caught their grandparents.

cheers

dave

Here i was leaving mine in a bucket for a week with dechlorinator... A little too paranoid.

• 1 year later...

I thought it was high time I updated some pictures of these little gems. They are breeding like crazy but the young seem to take a while to fully mature, which I guess is a good thing it means they aren't growing super quick and burning their lives up quickly.

The tank now has a heavy tannin stain happening and I recently added Australian blackworms to see if the shrimp will eat them (like they do blood worms) and if the black worms will eat the left over skeletons of the many leaves that get added to the tank.

P10409092_zpsfd54777b.jpg

P10409242_zpsc629cc1d.jpg

P10409252_zps1d05c3b1.jpg

Peek-a-boo

P10409452_zps410a2925.jpg

P10409512_zpsc0283191.jpg

P10409542_zps7913f44e.jpg

P10409562_zpsba4c6b2b.jpg

Thanks, I like their varying patterns and willingness to breed well, even if they are hard to find all the time in their very brown tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more pics of my little Blackmores

P1050136_zps5b8611d0.jpg

The stringy stuff sticking up around her is blackworms, I thought they would help in the reduce food for the pest snails stakes.

P1050120_zps304d82ba.jpg

A very berried girl.

??? Not really 100% sure on this next one

P10501152_zps847b5693.jpg