Sign in to follow this  
Dean

BossAquaria How to drill holes in your aquarium. 101

shrimped

Great video that is a big help to me I might even try my hand at it lol

newbreed

Awesome thread and video. Thanks for sharing this invaluable information.

dubose89

Can you drill a hole into any kind of tank, or does it have to be a special kind of glass?  I have heard the word tempered glass thrown around.  I want to buy a bunch of cheap 10 gallon tanks and do this one day.

Aquathumb

Yes most tanks can be drilled this way. Temperd glass-no it will shatter. But there are not many tanks made of temped glass.

Cheap 10 gallin tanks are almost certainly not temperd glass. They are made from cheap float glass panels.

Edited by Aquathumb

Zebra

Good to see others getting into the diy of this hobby.

Not to be "that guy" but your lucky it didn't break not using some form of coolant, I would never recommend drilling glass dry let alone do a write up on it for other people.

And the word your looking for on the drill setting is "torque" you have to set the torque right down to lowest setting. 

And it's always good to tape the back first too incase the piece of glass falls out and cracks your tank. :)

Edited by Zebra

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• sdlTBfanUK
      Great picture and love the shrimplets. Also pleased to hear it is all working so well! Do you now what the PH is of the new 20G tank? Simon
    • sdlTBfanUK
      That sounds great and pleased you have decided to go ahead. As you don't have any occupants in the tank at the moment it should be easy to get the tank parameters right by doing the planned water changes and add very little of the GH/KH+ until you have done the last large water change on Tuesday, that way it is easier to add the GH/KH+ to the level you want directly into the tank then - easier than finding it is over and having to get it down?  IF you were thinking of getting the shrimps from ProShrimp, they have quite a variety, bear in mind that there is postage cost only to a certain value (I think it is £35) so it may be better value to order a few more shrimps instead of paying the postage - if that makes sense??? If you are having them delivered Prohrimp or ebay you need to be home to sign/receive them obviously and IF using ebay MAKE SURE the seller is sending 'Express Delivery (Royal Mail Special Delivery (TM) 1:00 pm)'! Hopefully we will hear that everything has worked out well and all the hassle hasn't marred the experience.  Simon
    • Cesar
      Welcome to SKFA @DNTM_Shrimp_Breeders !
    • DNTM_Shrimp_Breeders
      I am sorry for some reasons the picture did not go through the last time 🙂 Also, I am cycling 3 more tanks for a new journey with Taiwan Bee shrimps 🙂
    • jayc
      If there are no shrimps in the tank, you can do a 100% water change with water that is adjusted to your liking with Salty shrimp GH/KH+.