Questions about how to relocate tanks to a new place

Heavyd

Ok, so I thought I'd open up a discussion about the best way to move multiple tanks to a new place. It's very likely that later in the year I will moving. Now, I hate moving as much as the next person, but what really stresses me out is moving active tanks. Usually you only have a small window to move to save money on rent, removalists etc. I've been racking my brain trying to think of the best way to perform the move.

I have 6 tanks running at present. My rough ideas to make a move easier are:

>Sell off/give away excess shrimp.

>Take a risk and move varieties that can breed to together into one tank before the move to acclimate them to the water. Possibly separating them in breeder nets.This would serve two purposes; would allow some tanks to be shut down and would mean that more shrimp varieties could be moved in one go (same tank water). I could even keep the filters running from the shut down tanks on an existing tank.

> I have large, 25-litre drums and would probably buy some more to put the tank water in when moving them.

The other consideration is that by the time I move, I will probably need to reset my tanks with new substrate, so that adds another dimension to the equation/problem.

So, how the hell do I move 6 tanks full of shrimp in a short time without stuffing up the filter bacteria or killing the shrimp?

I hope this thread may be helpful to others, as it is an inevitable problem to those who are renting and anyone else moving house.

For moving shrimp, the 9 L containers from the reject shop are pretty handy.

I would suggest cutting down 1/2 of your tanks and setting them up with new soil when you get to the new place.

Then you only have 1/2 the number to move.

As for actually moving them. I would catch them into the 9 L containers, drain out the water as much as you can, can even take it with you in drums. Then move the tanks, water and filters over, let them run for a couple of days with the shrimp in the containers till you are happy with the perameters and away you go. The shrimp go quite ok in those containers with a sponge filter.

Thanks for the suggestions mate. I will definitely consider the containers with the sponges until the tanks stabilise.

Does anyone else have any suggestions, or is it to much of an horrific idea to even contemplate?

Perhaps a great opportunity for new substrate. With my recent breeding rack, I had shrimps in there within a few days, using 50% tank water & 50% RO Water, with existing filter....by the end of 7-10 days, I had over 200 shrimps, and to date, no casualties.....and these were my Tigers, Tibee's ...etc

Perhaps, hire/buy a large laundry tub (or 25lt drum), fill it with old tank water, and put all your filters (presume canister ?) on it, with all the shrimps you have....can either separate each types using breeder nets etc....Then strip/clean all the tanks, relocate, set-up with Benibachi Soil & Powder (doesn't release ammonia, and ONLY one I use, so not sure about others), then use 50% tank/tub/drum water with RO water, wait for 1-2 days, throw in some test shrimp & check WP......then away you go....I think you'll be surprise how great it'll all work out.....but importantly is to use some tank water, and keep the filter bacteria alive....gotta watch for heat etc...this time of the year though.

Can use this opportunity for selective breeding, i.e. sell/donate stock, or a member may even baby sit some of the shrimps for you ?

Just gotta watch your WP, and do small water changes over the next few days.....

Take your shrimp to someone's house you trust and know will not kill your shrimp :)

hook up a sudo to their tank (to not loose your shrimp)

cycle new tanks

pick up shrimp when ready :)

to easy

All excellent ideas. Thanks.

I like the idea of the water drums with the shrimp inside and the filters attached. I think this is the way I will probably go. Probably stock up on some more 25 Litre drums. Will probably even be able to keep each tank seperate, as each has it's own canister running.

How about buying a few of those cheap battery powered pumps and running sponge filters (established) in them, whilst you do the move with lowered water in the tanks (without the shrimps)? Wouldn't this maintain the good bacteria in sponge filter substrate, etc.? I know I have done this with fish but am still new with shrimp so...can also use one running to keep the oxygen flowing through established media from your canisters?

The only issue I have with that, is the weight of the substrate and water when moving will put a lot of stress on the glass and silicon, possibly causing leaks later on. Maybe I will leave one tank with substrate and move as such, whilst I setup the rest of the tanks with new substrate.

Man that's a big challenge ahead of you. I'd say the drums and filter ideas are the goer only as its a decent volume of water and will hopefully give you time for new substrate to cycle. I'd put in sponges in now that way when the time comes you not only have cycled cannisters but also cycled sponges and you can have one in the new tanks and the other on the drums keeping them happy.

I'm a rookie tho lol

I already have sponges in all my tanks as well as canister filters. Maybe I will add another set. Can never have enough filtration at hand.

I don't know how far you have to travel but dropping the water out of your tank, leaving only the (moist) substrate would be a good option. As long as the substrate remains moist during the move, you won't lose too much bacteria, and if you refill the tank using at least half the old tank water and put in your filter back in/on the tank quickly (i.e. within six hours), then I highly doubt there would be a problem.

I will only be moving somewhere else in Sydney, so less than an hour away. I think I may leave the substrate in the largest tank, and chuck all the shrimp in there, whilst I reset the substrate on the other tanks. Or reset all tanks as BB suggested and keep the shrimp going in drums filled with tank water, whilst recycling 50% of the tank water, with the new substrate.