My first death today

ineke

• HOF Member

It had to happen eventually I suppose, one of my smaller shrimp found dead this morning. Think it was one of my first born only 4 weeks old. Everyone else looks fine. All water parameters were stable except my ph went from 7.4 to 7.8 . Only new thing in tank is a piece of driftwood that was fully prepared for the tank by another SKF member and has been in the tank since Thursday I think. Babies are still hatching, berried mums still carrying.

I did a normal small water change yesterday . Nothing else changed so to help with the ph I have put half a IAL in the tank - don't want to use chemicals or change ph too much as it comes out of the tap at 7.4. Have ordered a GH andKH Test kit and a TDS pen.Also some Japanese mineral blocks -they start with sh can't remember the full name.

will do another ph test tomorrow but can't think that would be the problem. My tank has fully cycled now with nitrates down to 20 hopefully that will still come down . I will not feed for a couple of days as that might be the nitrate problem. My substrate is inert black silica , have live plants, 3stage filter and sponge filter. Temp is around 23/24

Is there anything else I should do? Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Hopefully no more deaths tomorrow if there is I will remove the driftwood

cheers

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi Sajica

Nitrate was 20 and have done a 2 litre water change in a34 litre tank siphoning from close to the gravel. Used an airline because I have day old shrimplets in there.

i am a bit heavy handed with feeding I think although all the food has gone in the morning so that may account for the nitrate.

• HOF Member

Hi blue bolts a cherry that's all I have. I can't do GH as I don't have a GH and KH test kit but that's on order now.

If you've got time, as sajica said, perhaps bring your water to a LFS for them to test it ? If you're using tap water for WC, best to bring that along too, so that you know what WP you're introducing to your tank etc....

• HOF Member

OK will try to get there tomorrow . I use all the same water etc in my fish tank with neon tetras and they are doing extremely well the females are filling with eggs _ they get eaten though. The tiny fry in the shrimp tank all look good too. Hopefully it is a one only.

• HOF Member

Oh Loach that would have been hard. Yes considering I knew nothing I am lucky I haven't lost the lot. Hoping tomorrow won't be a bad day. I really want to do well with these shrimp because I think the girls are quite good. Just wish I could take better photos to find out what the forum think of them.

Sorry about your lost ineke...I myself have lost nearly a dozen cherries within a six month period and some mornings send your heart racing when see a dead shrimp lying there lifeless:sorrow: (don't know how some breeders can cope when they lose expensive shrimps like TB/ Tigers)...So being more vigilant with our WP, water change and curbing the temptation to over-feed are all the challenges in shrimp keeping / breeding...Luckily with this forum and members can assist you and advise you and hopefully we can gain more experience, understanding and knowledge therefore reducing the lapse in complacency...Hope you got everything under control ineke & the shrimps are ok..Good luck....CJ

Sorry for your loss.

20 nitrates is pretty high for a shrimp tank. You wanna try keep it 5ppm and under and 10ppm maximum.

Testing pH when lights first go on will have a slightly different pH than testing it after the lights have been on for a few hours also.

• HOF Member
Sorry about your lost ineke...I myself have lost nearly a dozen cherries within a six month period and some mornings send your heart racing when see a dead shrimp lying there lifeless:sorrow: (don't know how some breeders can cope when they lose expensive shrimps like TB/ Tigers)...So being more vigilant with our WP' date=' water change and curbing the temptation to over-feed are all the challenges in shrimp keeping / breeding...Luckily with this forum and members can assist you and advise you and hopefully we can gain more experience, understanding and knowledge therefore reducing the lapse in complacency...Hope you got everything under control ineke & the shrimps are ok..Good luck....CJ[/quote']

Thanks Neo-shrimp, thankfully no losses this morning . I am with you on the losses of the expensive shrimp that's why I will stick with the Cherries until I can be sure I can keep them healthy.

Cheers

Ineke

• HOF Member
Sorry for your loss.

20 nitrates is pretty high for a shrimp tank. You wanna try keep it 5ppm and under and 10ppm maximum.

Testing pH when lights first go on will have a slightly different pH than testing it after the lights have been on for a few hours also.

Thanks Triggs,

Yes 20 is high it has been much lower at 5 for the last couple of weeks and considering the tank was started 1st week after Xmas I thought it was quite good. With all the babies being born I have been feeding every day with very fine food but I think I have just been to liberal. Will leave off feeding for a few days, they have the sponge filter and some moss to feed on so should e ok. No deaths this morning and all looking good. Hope the IAL buffers the ph.

Cheers

Ineke