The legendary Aussimo Balls

BlueBolts

There's a well guarded location in NSW, home of the mystical Aussimo Balls, nicknamed as it appears identical, but physically courser to marimo's. A TRUE Australian speciment.....

044F4A73-395D-4EF1-A322-2470E269AFFB-4854-0000054372EC125B.jpgAB52D329-91A3-4430-8B34-9E051391BA9D-4854-000005436C64D54D.jpgB46D96A4-A6A5-461C-891B-7407D8D9786D-4558-00000523C317C24F.jpg

They're extremely slow growing, and I'm trying to gather more information about them .....please do add, and share your thoughts on them ....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlueBolts

• fishmosy

• sajica

• OzShrimp

Yes they do grow naturally round....not an absolute perfect sphere, as they're not as compact/grow over each other...growth is more outward.

i want one..they are pretty special considering its an aussie home grown version of the marimo.. :triumphant:

i love it :o

I'm surprised they're not more common being a native plant. I can just imagine where they're found. I think it's time us sandgropers got into gear and started finding some cool stuff.

Do the shrimp love it? :congratulatory:

Yeah, because they're more course, and have more of a surface area.... the shrimps do forage over them...

I'm surprised they're not more common being a native plant. I can just imagine where they're found. I think it's time us sandgropers got into gear and started finding some cool stuff.

Prob need to travel North with the warmer client.....a Aquotix sponsored expedition to Broome sounds great !

You need to go a bit further than Broome BB, but the stuff is out there, I will email you a Nerite snail photo that will make you go WOW. I will PM you my email if I dont have it already?

Bob

You need to go a bit further than Broome BB' date=' but the stuff is out there[/quote']

Hi Bob, you've seen these on your travels ? .

No I have not sen them DAM, but the photos were sent to me, Dave will have the photos to, They are up in the Kimberly.

BB I deleted the photos and I am trying to get them again.

Bob

I remember the hype over these and the seller was never to be seen online again. Have youre actually grown? Ive had a look at these under the microscope and written up my results on AL. I dont believe they are actually living. Burn a piece and youll see for yourself.

Pretty sure they're growing, I've got one that's a size of a 20-50 cent coin now....I'm still in contact with the original seller. Interesting to hear of others thoughts ?

Just re-read the original thread, and all claim (except one) it to be real/growing. I'm convince mines's grown....would be great if we can actually get a ID, confirmation of what they are...etc

Happy to stick it under the new $40,000 microscope at work and take pics to post here if you'll send me a sample...... larger the better :barbershop_quartet_ purely for scientific purposes of course.

I have a small amount I can do the burn test with :) Drying as we speak.

mosy. Will that microscope fit in an express post satchel? :p

mosy. Will that microscope fit in an express post satchel? :p

Think the boss would shoot me if I even thought about it! I'm not even allowed to use it on its highest magnification.

The Aussimo arrived today. Will put it under the microscope first thing tomorrow and take some pics. I hope it is a plant/algae as it is really something.

Chuck em up when you've got them! I'd be happy to give you a second opinion.

Great....please do educate us and post some pics whether synthetic or real....so that we can learn, and pretend to be scientist for a minute....